1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Video...

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by DieselSlug, Jan 25, 2010.

1. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I like your truck. Good job on the video. Keep working on that technique, the video should have been 2 min. long. Lift your plow when you back up.

3. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

I hope you where showing off for the camera. That should have been 4-5 passes max.

4. DieselSlug

Are you kidding me, i was in 4 lo spinning like crazy!! I dont stack or ram with this truck. I could barely push half a blade worth, the drive way was a sheet of ice under all the heavy wet 4' drift, its been raining for a few days now.. I know its slow, but that trucks got a tranny in it with 211k hard miles. I treat it well, not about speed for me... Im 21 with no money so if it breaks im done.... Yeah i do see i dont lift the plow up enough, for some reason it looks like its higher off the ground in the cab to me.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Its tough to see how slippery it was if we were not there. I personally would think not more than a few passes and done, but again not me, not my truck. Its a sweet looking 94 thats for sure and love the turbo.

6. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

My bad didn't notice it was so icy. Momentum is key though. That would even be better for the trans. IMO. Use the wait of the vehicle to help push better rather than putting so much strain on the tranny. IMO you can plow alot faster and not kill the truck or tranny.

To each thier own. What every works for you I guess. Just trying to give you some tips. 4 low isn't always the best option. IMO Espeically on Flat ground. Time is money in my book. :drinkup:

7. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

first video....First time plowing too??

8. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

That was almost painful. Like they said before me, more momentum, the more snow you can push at one time then less amount of times you have to take to shift gears. Also when lifting, there is nothing wrong with lifting it higher than what you need. More practice and you will be good.

9. DieselSlug

Sorry for posting the vid if it killed anyone. Il remeber next time before posting anything. It is not my first time plowing and i only plow two drives including my own. Thanks for your comment granger, makes me feel real big.... Im not a pro....

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  10. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I was afraid of this after a few comments including mine. Don't feel bad, it takes time to get good. Keep your head up and like I said I still liked that you posted the video. I learn something every time on plowsite, keep an open mind. Sorry it turned into a bash fest. :drinkup:

11. cod8825

cod8825 Member

DieselSlug:

Thanks for the vid I know that I always enjoy watching others at work. Here in Kansas City we do not get huge storms like others up north. With that being said remember that this is an open forum and people may post whatever they like. To comment here you need some thick skin at times. Don't worry you will definitely get better with each storm and each job. I have been in this business four seasons and I get better each year.

Matt

12. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

As someone with 20 yrs plowing experience, and that has 5 trucks on the road during an event, I would be proud to have someone as caarefull and considerate on equipment run my trucks.
    How did you get the turbo whistle to present on a 6.5
    Dino

13. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Could you be faster...? YES
    Does going faster prove anything? NO
    I'd hire you on the sheer fact, you understand a broken truck is worthless. I'm more concerned with how somebody respects the truck vs speed pushing.....

14. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

It was just constructive critizisim. Don't take it to heart. Just trying to help you out. Make you more profitable. Keep the Vids coming. But if you are going to post you will get opinions.

There is a fine line with being careful with your equipment and being productive at the same time. Most plow snow as a business. So being the most productive and not wrecking equipment is always the most challanging and the goal of every contractor.

15. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Nice looking truck. I have a 1994 6.5 also in a 1ton rack truck. You must have some straight exhaust on that to hear the turbo? Nice job plowing .

16. DieselSlug

Thanks. Yeah, last year was an expensive year for this truck and I. I have put about 4500 dollars under the hood of this truck. This included a whole new engine, and totally new steering system and some ball joints, along with another 800 dollars worth of brakes all the way around. So I am petrified of anything else breaking like the frame snapping or the transmission going out after I have put all of this time and money into it. Its got 2 transmission coolers in it so I am not so worried about it overheating. I just don’t like putting so much stress on the frame more than anything. This truck was in my garage for almost 1 year to complete it. It’s not all about money for me. I do it for a little extra spending cash, but if I loose a few bucks in time and fuel I am fine with that. The truck has a 4’’ front to back exhaust with straight pipe and an upgraded round style air filter box with the snorkel removed. It whistles loud even only running between 0-10 pounds of boost. The engine has ARP headstuds and h/o cooling system so it never overheats, i tried to build the engine well, probly too well for what the rest of the truck can handle.. It really is a rot box and needs the whole body replaced, so that’s this summer’s project. Then an upgraded turbo and chip when I can get the money…

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  17. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

The way you drive and plow, you don't have to worry about the frame snapping. And that way you treat your truck, it will last forever. My dads mechanic has the same truck, only it's got 400,000 miles, original tranny, and engine (6.5L Diesel) and he plows with it. This truck used to be a company truck for a big auto parts store, and he still plows with it and he has no problem. Chevy's have good frames under it.

18. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

That's what I'm saying.

47 passes later....:sleeping:

19. DieselSlug

Thank You! And yeah it wasnt quite 47........

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  20. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Hmm, what I dont understand is that if it is so painful to watch... Stop watching it at 1 minute in then? Im sure that 1 minute really killed the time you could be posting other comments complaining about how some guy plowed. :rolleyes: