1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Truck

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by No Badge Sierra, Mar 16, 2011.

1. No Badge Sierra

No Badge Sierra Junior Member

Hey Everyone, this is my first truck, its a 2003 sierra ext cab, 6 foot box, 6.0L 8cl. It has a couple aesthetic problems I would like to fix and was wondering if someone could give me some tips!

- The bumper is really twisted up and I was curious if I can fix it myself or if It needs to be replaced?

- There is lots of brake dust (I'm talking mass amounts) on the rims and the scrome polish isnt good for cleaning such large areas. Are there any good products in Canada to use?

Thanks a lot!
  2. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Cant give advise with no pictures
  3. No Badge Sierra

OK thanks i'll get some up ASAP.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Use fine steel wool and lot's of polish. Just replace the bumper. Most times the bolts need torched off. Some times you get lucky and an impact can get them off. Buy Non-OEM bumper the price is not bad.
  5. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

The bumper may or may not be an easy swap, depending on how messed up it is...your mounts might be wrecked too. Check before you start trying to take it off as you might wind up at a body shop.

I use Eagle 1 mag wheel cleaner on my wheels and a medium bristled toothbrush to agitate the stuff. Its a very mild acid wash and I've always had really good results. Don't know just how badly your wheels are covered though...are you sure they're not painted black?
  6. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Buy an aftermarket bumper. if its a rear only about 300 and comes with the brakets. As for the rims. Hit them with some wheel cleaner. Hose them off and then use a wheel brush you can buy for like 5 bucks at autozone. If you still have brake dust issues. Then use fine steel wool and they will be gleamimg. I only say to try brush second becuase its never a bad thing to have wheel brush. I spray and brush rims before every car wash.
  7. No Badge Sierra

Hey thanks a lot guys I'm going to try all this on the weekend ! I've been trying to upload some pics but the website won't accept them right now !

Thanks for all the advice
  8. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

If they are the OEM chrome, do use use anything abrasive. Even a green scotch pad will damage the clear coat.