1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First trip out with the 6.7.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Northernplowguy, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Northernplowguy

Northernplowguy Junior Member

Finally had enough snow to try out the new truck! took a bit of getting used to the turbo lag compared to my old V10 NA truck.

first plow.jpg

first plow2.jpg

2. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Very nice truck! I have also heard people say that it is not all turbo lag, it's like a built in thing that is supposed to save driveline wear.. a tuner can fix it

3. DellSteven

DellSteven Junior Member
    from Toronto

great looking truck I just pick up a new 250 with the 6.7 , just ichin to try it out !

4. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Nice!
    It is the computer giving the feeling of lag. Torque management. Otherwise you would smoke the tires right off.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I haven't driven one much, but if you think that is turbo lag, you'd be going postal if you drove a 6.0.

I thought they were awesome.

6. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

that turbo lag was a little annoying for me too when i first used mine, put it in tow haul mode and it plows like a dream. the only two small problems i have with mine is it sometimes when matting it the engine gets all huffy and puffy and starts to go the the turbo kicks in and they arnt timed together well. may just be a computer thing. also the front suspension with a 9' boss straight blade on it feels like your riding on rocks, very stiff.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  7. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

sure would... i feel the same way once in a while if i test drive a used 6.0 stock with miles on it, all of ours have tuners, intakes, downpiped exhausts.. which help the most with that...

8. EXR

EXR Senior Member

This lag you speak of, is it a delay up to 2 sec? I have had my 11 back to the dealer so many x it's not funny over the tranny (including total failure). However when I get the tranny heated up plowing it sometimes delays up to 2 secs or even 3 when going from R to D. Is this what you exp? I was hoping the newer superduty's were cured of this.

9. EXR

EXR Senior Member

by chance do you know which tuner? The delay from R to D drives me nuts. Ford says 2 sec delay is within spec.

10. Northernplowguy

Northernplowguy Junior Member

Thanks guys for likes

As a ford master tech myself, I can say that the shift delay is present in my 2015 as well. It's just a built in safety feature to protect the drivetrain as JGUCK said. This is my first diesel truck of my own. I've always had gas trucks and I wouldn't have a 6.0 or 6.4. ( I work on them all day long) I waited this long to see how the 6.7 was going to play out and I can say I haven't fixed very many for Ford related problems( it's mostly customer problem as in def or gas in the fuel tank taking out the HP fuel system around here). As far as the " leg" goes, going from a gas truck to a diesel is quite a bit different and yes I have a tendency to spin all 6 tires pushing snow ( just need to learn when to lift my foot up after I start to build some boost)

I don't think I would ever go back to gas now. It' takes a 1/3 of fuel in this truck to haul my drag car hauler in the summer compared to the V10. And I can pull any hill at hwy speed at 22 000 lbs . :)

11. Buswell Forest

from NH

My 6.2 gas does the same thing if I shift into D from R before I come to a complete stop. Turning the traction control off helps too. Bugs me to have the brakes come on when I am trying to get out of the way of approaching traffic.

12. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

yeah i run my 6.7 with a 9ft blade and a blizzard ice chaser loaded most of the time. tow haul and traction control off its a beast, even with the factory tires. any recommendations on snow tires?

13. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

you can alleviate the "lag" and create an instant powerhouse with an SCTuner , proper tunes . you'll still experience a delay in shifting until the computer "learns " the tune and manipulated FICM parameters . there are several other relatively rea$onable ways to MOD it or BOMB it .

i use Eric @ http://www.innovativediesel.com/ for all our needs . he has a nasty tow / haul tune i use for plowing . BIG difference ! you'll notice an unending , relentless source of torque and horseys just by tickling the skinny pedal .

kill the cat

if your new to diesel , hang on http://www.powerstrokenation.com/ for a week or 2 .

Broncs correct , but with ID's tunes , its even SICKer POWER

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  14. snocrete

snocrete Banned

15. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

lose the turbo silencer ring , get the turbo-back 4'' Magna-Flo exhaust for supreme breathing and that
    "Freight Train Whistle ".....

16. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Can't use any tuners on the newer diesels.

17. Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel Senior Member
    from Sharon

I believe after 2012 no tuners will work. Thanks to the EPA

18. Buswell Forest

from NH

Yes, that thing is a pain too. Hold the tc button for like 5 seconds, right?

19. Buswell Forest

from NH

I think you might be wrong on that...

20. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

really ? you boys ought to give up the potshot guessing around here . no fun when we cant wager ,
    or in my case , wager , show , then collect.
    ID cannot only tune a 15 ford gas OR diesel , but a 15 Kenworth , mack , Volvo,pete, on n on

sssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, stop the spoogedrivel

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014