1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First trial anti - icing

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rblake, Dec 21, 2008.

1. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

Decided to try out our liquid well brine this morning since we had plenty of time to check results. Weather: 1/8" ice/snow, temp around 20 degrees dropping during the day with sunshine and a stiff north wind around 15-20 mph. Sprayed around 50 - 60 gallons per acre. The ice and snow was melted within 30 to 45 minutes. Came back about 4 hours later and all of the ice/snow was gone. My only question is that the lots were not drying up. tonights low will be around 5-7 degrees. Will the lots freeze back up where the puddles were ? I would think that the lots should have dried up and i would have seen some type of residue on the lots like the ones that i salted today. Is it the calcium that is keeping it wet ?

2. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

If its brine puddles it won't freeze because the salt will lower the freeze point

3. PerfiCut Inc.

PerfiCut Inc. Senior Member
    from Eastern

I suspect it may refreaze. If you used a 23% mix for application, its likely that it is fairly diluted by now. Assuming it has duluted 50% you would be at a 12% solution which has a might higher freezing point (not sure exactly what it is) but I would venture to guess its much higher than 7 degrees.

I would expect it to re-freeze. I could be wrong though. Let us know.

4. jjmcnace

jjmcnace Member
    from Iowa

I've been reading up on all of these Brine posts. With salt being harder to find I am also thinking of trying to make my own brine. Do you guys that use brine think its a good idea to make your brine with a little more salt content than the 23.3% when you know that as soon as it hits ice or snow it will become diluted?

5. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

It always looks like it will freeze on us but it never really has. The puddles have froze up on us though. We never see any residue after every thing is melted off. Sound like it worked good for you! :salute:

6. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

Checked them this morning and they did not refreeze. But why did they not dry up? It was an ungodly -2 this morning and a brisk 10-15 wind all night. Mike, when you pretreat with this stuff, does it dry up on the parking lot like the brine that odot uses? or will it keep that wet look? I was a little nervous last night.

7. Mike S

Ive only seen it dry up on the surface on a very sunny dry day. From my understanding what you are seeing is the salt/calcium drawing moisture from the air, not enough to hurt anything but enough to keep it wet looking. Example, have you ever got that Calcium pellet dust all over your leather boots? You probably have and if you have not, your boots will look wet but they are not but when they finaly dry look out! I have had people ask me all the time what is up with your boots! I would be to nervous last night was cold and if you didnt have a problem then I bet you will not have a problem.

8. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

That does make sense. I was glad to see it melt the ice at those cold temps. I hope we can try it soon as a pretreatment when they are not calling for rain/ freezing rain etc.
    Thanks

9. Mike S

Yes with all of this rain/snow, rain/ice and rain/rain thier have not been many chances for liquid for us.

10. PerfiCut Inc.

PerfiCut Inc. Senior Member
    from Eastern

Im glad to hear that it lasted through the night at those temperatures and still didnt refreaze. Makes me want to consider going through with my plans to build one ourselves.

I though the same thing about increasing the mix ratio. I understand that a higher percentage, say 30% will drasticaly increase or raise the freezing point, but, I would think if you pretreat with it when the temps are still in the 20's, then as it snows, or even freezing rain, the solution will dilute and the freezing point will then be lowered. Until of course its diluted enough to start increasing it. It may go further. Would have to find out if anyones done this and what results they got out of it.