1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First timers, how was it??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ian03, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

Looking at the weather, alot of us popped our plowing cherry this week. Was it like you thought? Better, worse, different? Let's hear some stories.

Well I did my route for the first time last night and it was pretty much as expected except for one thing. I should have listened to Avalancheplow, among others, who said never offer to get out of the truck for anything. I volunteered to shovel some residentials, who promptly took me up on my offer. It turned my 1.5 hours route into 2.5 to 3 hours easy. Not being lazy but if I ditch the shoveling and plowed the extra 1.5 hours, I could make twice the money without any more time spent. Well, I guess you live and learn, next year I will not offer this but I will honor for the rest of the year.
    Good luck to everyone this year, and Merry Christmas to all.
  2. butters

butters Member

Well, I just picked up my new plow last night (Blizzard 760LT) and as soon as I got home I dropped the plow and started plowing. This was my first plowing experience. Not just for this season, but ever. It is definitely going to be something that I will have to get used to doing. I wasn't hard, but it takes a few pushes to get used to the raising/dropping of the plow and shifting from drive to reverse. I tore up my yard a little, but I also didn't adjust my blade shoes nor did I use much caution as my yard hasn't been landscaped yet (this is a new house). All in all it was pretty fun. I plowed my drive (1500+ ft) last night and then again this morning as we got another 5+ inches of snow overnight. I do think that I need to adjust my trip springs as the plow seems to trip a little too easy. I will work on that when I get more time. Anyone know how long a 1100 ft long 16 ft wide gravel road and a 450 ft long 14 ft wide drive with a 36 by 20 ft parking pad should take to clear out? It took my a long time to do this (after all it was my first time and I was playing with my new "toy").
  3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I would think that the dealer would have adjusted the trip springs when he installed it. How many springs on the LT model. This might be just how it operates especially on long gravel roads/driveways.
  4. butters

butters Member

It has three trip springs. It only trips when the elevation changes and the plow digs in a little bit. It wasn't that bad, but I think that they could be a little stiffer. Going down the drive was fine. The plow will trip when pushing snow off the drive where the ground is uneven. I think that the very cold temps contributed to the hardness of the dirt and that caused some of the plow trips when I hit these uneven areas of the ground. I think that it operated the way it should, I just would like it to take a little more before it gives way.
  5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Thats why I bought a Fisher, just a trip edge. :p
  6. butters

butters Member

If I could have gotten a brand new Fisher for $2700 installed I would have went that route. So far I like the Blizzard and with a few adjustments I think it will be a great plow.

WELDER Member

youll prolly find out that it wont trip as much when the ground freezes solid.as far as shoveling, i shovel walks at all my accounts. thats what keeps em coming back year after year.they dont know it, but i figure that into the price.they think they are gettin somethin extra for free. people like free.i get out and shovel like a madman. that way it only takes a couple minutes.(not recommended if you got a weak heart lol).........or if the lil ladies with me , i stick a shovel in her hand and shove her out of the cab.she shovels fast too cause she wants back in the truck lol......hey, dont feel bad for her .she loves to shop :waving: .......welder
  8. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

The dealer does not over tighten trip springs for liability reasons. You can torque them up a little till you have it trip the way you want.