1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

first timer question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by headsawyer, Jul 25, 2003.

1. headsawyer

headsawyer Junior Member
    from pa

i have a jeep wrangler, and i want to put a plow on for private use and was looking at a snoway system for light wieght looking for suggestions or comments (first time plower):help:

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

First of all, try the search feature, there is a lot of information about snow way plows that has been discussed in the past. Personally, I think that if you have a Dealer nearby, they're the best type of plow, primarily because of the downpressure system and the lightweight. The lightweight construction would make it perfect for your jeep, and the downpressure will compensate for the plow being so lightweight, when it comes to scraping up light hardpack.

-John

3. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Welcome to Plowsite :waving: if you look up in the right side of the page you will see a search button. Even better go to the FAQ section you might see something in there also.

4. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite:waving:

Your jeep would make a great driveway plow truck. My friend has a jeep with a 6.5 ortiz snowplow on it and it makes the perfect driveway truck. Snoway would be a great plow for a jeep.

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Look for posts by Alan, he runs a few Snoways. Maverick had one also, but has gotten out of the business.:drinkup:

6. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

We plow SnoWay's on our small trucks (used to have on large trucks too). They are good plows. I have not bought one since '98. I see "little" blades on the road which have short mulboards, if possible get a full mulboard. You'll also want a flap on the SnoWay since the blade isn't heavily curved and lighter snow flies easily over the mulboard and covers the windshield.

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

You can't go wrong with the Snoway.We have a few,and besides a few structural problems (which have been fixed on the newer models),they work great.The Downpressure can't be beat for back drogging driveways or scraping up hardpack.

I have found that most of the other plow mfg's seem to hang way off the front of the Jeep's,which looks hard on the front axle.The Snoways are tucked in a little better.

I'll second what LawnLad said on the snow deflector,as they do seem to throw up a lot of snow.

Timbren load boosters will help keep the front end up,and make it easier on the front end.

Welcome to Plowsite.

8. headsawyer

headsawyer Junior Member
    from pa

do you think the down pressure system would be necessary if i,m not doing any back dragging,and the dealer said i wouldn't need the lights because the headlights are high but i think the turn singles will be a problem .

9. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Snoway
    Fisher
    Western
    and Meyer all make an application for your truck. I have a 1996 Cherokee Sport and I run a 6.5' Western on my truck with no problems. As was stated earlier a few guys on the site do use Wranglers to plow so click on over to the search button and enjoy the reading and have a great time on this great site. :D

Jay

10. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Get the light kit - your mulboard will get scratched up and you regular lights will refract back and cause some glare or just be plain annoying. The only thing I don't like about the new SnoWay set up is the solenoid (or something along these lines) that automatically switches your plow lights from your truck lights when you plug in your head light harness. We never had problems with the head lights until the automatic switch was installed.

Even if you don't think you'll be doing much back dragging, get the down pressure anyways. You may want it when you're scraping up ice pack and moving forward - nice tool to have in the tool box when you need it.

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

Lawn Lad beat me too it,but you should get the lights.Like he said,the moldboard gets pretty dirty,and the lights don't shine through it well.They will also get blocked when snow starts to stick to the Lexan.

You can use the Downpressure going forward,it will really help a lighter vehicle scrape better.

12. plucnik

plucnik Junior Member
    from Chicago

I put a Western 6.5 on my 1997 Jeep Wrangler last year. I had Timbren's installed on my front axle and so far so good (Chicago didn't get a whole lot of snow last season but the setup worked well for what we did get). The only "annoyance" I have from the install is that my airbag light comes on in intervals. I assume that has something to do with the install because that problem hadn't occurred before. I have a manual trannie and that can get a bit tiring as the night goes on. Here's a pic....good luck!
    Peter

nov06_07.jpg

13. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I have a CJ5 with a 6.5' meyers , its suprising how good it pushes.

14. wyldman

wyldman Member

You can see by this pic how dirty and foggy the Lexan gets when it gets old.The truck lights will have a hard time shining through this.The extra plow lamps will really help,as they shine over the blade.

15. wyldman

wyldman Member

Snoway with old,dirty Lexan moldboard.

dirty lexan.jpg

16. wyldman

wyldman Member

Another shot.

It almost looks tinted.:cool:

dirty lexan2.jpg

17. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Not a lot of snoways here but those that are have lights. Saw one a few years ago at night and the driver had to have the blade almost scraping the road on the way home because of using his headlights.

Much safer to get the lights when you buy the plow.

18. wyldman

wyldman Member

I don't currently have lights on our snoways,but most of our properties are within a few miles,and all travel is on well lit roads.

Only time it has been a problem is when I decide to take one home,which is mostly backroads,and I can't see a thing at night.

I may add some lights this year,either on the front,or maybe roof mounted.