1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First time working as a sub I NEED SOME HELP!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by PattersonL&L, Nov 19, 2010.

1. PattersonL&L

PattersonL&L Junior Member

Hi, Thanks for all to try to help me. I contacted a guy through a friend that subs guys out. He has this apartment complex that looks to would take at least 4 to 5 hours but he said with one truck ot should only take 2 hours with 2 guys on side walks. What do you guys think? He is paying a good wadge @ $75 dollars an hour but i gotta pay the sidewalk crew too. :help:

complex.jpg

2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

75 and you have to pay sidewalk crew to low but he'll get somebody to do it for that good luck.

3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

You know try and get 105.00 per hr. and pay your sidewalk crew 20.00 per. hr. And you all make money

4. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i am assuming all the littler lines are side walks that appear to be by apartments? i would not pay the side walk crew, i would tell him to eat your balls! and i hope you have a 3/4 ton truck thoes are some long pushes!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  5. sammy77

sammy77 Junior Member

I pay my subs $65/hr. No way I'd take that.

6. nekos

nekos Senior Member

Good luck with that lot,

1. It's not going to take you 2 hours with 1 truck. 3 - 4 and considering your new, 6 - 8.
    2. You have no where to easily put the snow. Your going to have to take up parking spaces.
    3. Tell the guy to get his own damn shovel crew. You're a sub contractor and unless you offered a shovel crew it's not your job to hire and manage them. Might as well just bid the lot yourself if he is asking you to do all this.
    4. $75 with a shovel crew is way to low. you will lose money.

7. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Don't believe what he told you. :laughing:

If you do, you're screwed. :nod:

8. PattersonL&L

PattersonL&L Junior Member

Thanks guys, I could use all the help you gave me. I thought it was too low. Then he'll try to pull some crap like have me sign a contract to only get paid what he thinks it should take. Not a dummy here

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

whatever you do....get it in writing and signed by both of you

10. JTK324

JTK324 Senior Member

I dont know about you guys but up here in rhode island we figured that a pick up with a driver with wage insurance fuel and all other bull is worth at least 80 for us and then you have to go out and hirer a shoveling crew I would be shooting for 115-125 and hour atleast but if you want to work for nothing good luck

11. hightop

hightop Member

I don't see you getting that lot done in 2 hours w/ 1 truck, and I know 2 guys w/ shovels aren't gonna be done with all those walks in 2 either, so you're gonna pay them for more than 2, plus your fuel costs, higher all the time. Also, like someone said, you're gonna have to put snow in parking spots, every snowfall afterwards without a melt in between will be harder.

12. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

if you want to do it tell him you'll take $75 per/hr. for as long as it takes you not what he thinks and also tell him you will need min. of $40 an hr extra to pay a shovel crew.

IMHO that lot is a 6 man job. 4 guys with shovels and snow blowers and 2 guys with 2 trucks. looking at it from the pic id say 3-6 hr job for plowing plus cleanup the next day. and unkown ammount of time on shoveling. the 2 drivers would probobly have to plow it jump out and help shovel to get that done quick. depending on how wide the walks are i would try to fit a truck down them. but that would need like 7' wide walks

no way in hell your gonna do that in 2 hrs with one truck and 2 shovelers or gonna be able to afford to at $75 an hr

do you know the size of the lot Sq/ft or sq/yd and the walks

13. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

I work as a sub and get $70 an hour and he pays any shovelers not me. That deal seems low but im sure he will find someone to do it.

14. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

That is a good per hour price for plowing,but like everyone else said he needs to pay for the shovel crew!!!