1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

first time replacing half shafts...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by saynow, Dec 11, 2008.

1. saynow

saynow Junior Member

i'm gonna attempt to replace the half shafts on my 2000 gmc 3/4 ton sierra cc this weekend. i have been hearing a considerable amount of clicking up there in 4 wheel and i also notice some clunking when shifting from forward to reverse which is probably a u joint right? anyway is there any special tools required to replacing the half shafts? how much of a pita is it? how long? what about replacing the u joint up there as well? anybody ever done this themselves? i'm really not that mechanically inclined. any help is greatly appreciated!
  2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Half shafts are really easy to change. You will need a big socket to remove the spindle nut most likely a 36mm. Then you will need to remove the bolts that hold the shaft onto the differential those are most likely 15mm. I needed to remove the sway bar end link for clearance. then you just drop it down from the diff and slide it out towards the center of the truck. One side took me 1/2 hour and it was my first time doing it.
  3. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Ck the u joint in the front shaft first before u change the cv joints.
  4. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Abes is right, on the 3/4 ton you should be able to squeak it through the inside, i think the 1/2 tons dont have that clearance and you end up seperating ball joints..
  5. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

i always pull the lower ball joint
  6. john95chevy

john95chevy Junior Member

u dont have to seperate ball joint i do them without even taking tires off