1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First time pulling

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by William B., Jul 14, 2009.

1. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Sunday night I tried my luck hooking to the sled at one of the local fair. Pulled in the work stock diesel class. Pulled 274.38 ft and got third place. I had the first place truck beat the first time but being as he was first in the class he got a rehook and won it. The second place truck was a 07 GMC c/c with a flat bed that ended up pulling with the bigger diesel classes and placed in the top of those classes. He had the PPE+2 which on it's top setting is good for 300HP I think so there was no way I could catch him. On to the vid and pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Nice hook. Those Stt's sure were throwin' the dirt. You drop your tbars down or just rely on the tierod sleeves to keep things inline?

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Nice job!

Have you plowed with the STTs yet? They are available in a 255/85/16 and I might put them on my 81. The tread looks a little more suited to snow then the BFG Mud Terrains. I don't understand why there is not a snow tread in that size. It would rule.

4. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

I had the Tbars adjusted down and spring clamps on the the back. That's what I'm putting on in the last pic. I probably should have dropped them all the way down and taken the bolts out and lowered the air pressure up front.

5. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Congrats!

Now the next time if you pull with a Cumminapart you'll take 1st! lol :)

6. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

nice run always a good time

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Still curious about those tires in the snow.

8. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Nice! I want to use my Stroker in the fair pull this year. But my parents say no :(

9. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Never had them when I plowed.

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Just hook it, appologize later. :D

11. LawnProLandscapes

forgiveness is easier to ask for than permission : P

12. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

nice. we just had the heart of Illinois fair pulls last night in peoria. it was fun to watch like usual. there were a ton of diesels it took 2-3hrs just for them but it started to rain so we left. A really nice 77 f250 highboy won the gas class oh and 4 chevy's in a row lost their clutch's hehe it was fun to watch.

13. bosslover

bosslover Member

listen to your parents and dont pull its just gunna cost u alota heart ache and hurt on the wallet i learned the hard way and this is coming from a 22 year old trust me i nuked my 04 v-10 pulling and it cost me over ten grand to fix it

14. LawnProLandscapes

heres some pics of his carnage caused that day and the thread on it from last year. personally my daily driver/plow truck will NEVER pull or hook up, not worth it to pad your pride. . . eventually hoping to pick up a 79 f-250 with 460 to pull with tho.

15. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

Good choice. I love that body style. but i'd go for a 75-77 i like the round headlights better and those years came from the factory with a lift :nod:

16. Brant'sLawnCare

True Dat!

They will laugh at me if I drop my tranny or something.

But it sounds like I should hang out with you guys more often. I could learn some stuff. :D

17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think most suffer nearly as much damage as you had after giving it a shot. The most damage I see that is commins is people with dmax's or any ifs front end breaking tie rod ends with to much power/torque and traction. Or People starting to hop and not getting out of the throttle, they think if they keep it to the floor things will get better apparently. :rolleyes: Usually results in anything from broken u joints to snapped axles, tcases, etc. However it seems most can hook and get away with no damage or very minor things at the worse.

18. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Hey Mark did you go to Freeport this weekend?

19. Brant'sLawnCare

I saw a guy with a Cummins do that last year. He was hopping like crazy and just kept jamming the accelerator. Dropped his drive chain.

20. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

The most I've seen has been a twisted drive shaft a couple years ago on a crew cab DMax. Got down to 300 and something and then boom. I did see a guy in a Cummins last year put a window in his motor though. Second hook of the night. First night he pulled the sled doing 26 mph! Heard that he's gone through 2 motors already this year.He owns a diesel shop so I guess that is more work for him. Needless to say neither one of these trucks where stock.