1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

first time pricing lots

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by fastxcr800, Nov 20, 2008.

1. fastxcr800

fastxcr800 Member

I'm just getting into plowing this year. I have 3 parking lots that i'm going to look at tomorrow to price. What methods are tipically used? How do you price for different depths and salting? How do you figure out how much salt to purchase for the season?

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I figure the sq footage, and the obstructions. Then I look at where I can stack the snow. If all of this seems pretty easy, then I take a good look at the lot and figure out how much time it will take. I sit down and do the math both ways. Then I charge them the higher of the two prices.

As far as depths, I go 1 to 3 - 3.1 to 5 - 5.1 to 7 and 7 + I take my base number for the 1 to 3, and multiply that by 1.5 for the 3.1 to 5 and dulble the base number for the 5.1 to 7. For the 7+ I just charge my normal hourly rate.

This all my sound funny to alot of you guys that get more snow than we do in Ohio, but we have to pay for our equipment as well, and to set higher depth amounts we would never be able to charge a higher dollar amount since our snows average about 2 to 3 inches.

3. fastxcr800

fastxcr800 Member

whats normal for an hourly rate?

4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

70 an hour is what we get around here, but that number varies as close as 50 miles away from here

5. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

I would go work for a Snow removal Contractor for now since you have never plowed before and have no Idea on how to size lots and what you are charging in your neck of the woods,or how long it takes to plow a lot, also your going to pay a high price now for trying to get salt,

have you even got a blade for your truck/ what are you going to spread with? do you now of people that are going to sub for you what quality of people are they are they going to go a crappy job for you.

6. fastxcr800

fastxcr800 Member

i got a meyer 8', the lots are smaller so i'm just gonna use a tailgate spreader and a push spreader. i'm doing some subbing, but also have a few jobs of my own....

7. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

I would take what your getting pay by subbing add the average of your overhead and you should be close. I believe around Mn and Ia you should be fine between $70 -$80 (JMO) just de pends on what it takes to run your business Insurance, vehicale Insurance, Equipment, your pay, fuel wear and tear.

If you have plowed before then you should have some idea how much you can do a hour on each property that you have done previous and that should tell you how many hrs it will take you then tack on 50% (Exe 1hr then go 1 1/2 total un tell you get a crap load of hr for on project then back the % down. that way if you ever have to sub it out u have your a#@ cover to pay them and still make a little if they do'nt go over.

Like I said you will be very lucky to find bulk salt cheap this late in the ball game, if your going with bag ice melt in your tailgate spreader I would check with lawn chemical suppiers, landscaping suppliers to get your best rate!!

Depths
    up to you must run some thing like $5-10 per every 3 inches (1"-4" 4.1"- 7" then maybe a $10-$15 jump at the 7"-10") or add to your time or both,(JMO) everyone is differant

Salting/ sanding \

need to measure property out and get your SqFt at a med setting you should be able to spread a ton of sand on a acre of property ( this can very depending on how heavy they want it sanded / how much salt do they want mixed in)

pricing sand

now depends on your equipment/ materials and how much you want $ to spread it

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008