1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First time plowing!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ScnicExcellence, Dec 17, 2008.

1. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

today i got the first plow in in my life. With a pickup.

I have used backhoes and excavators but the first time using pickup with plow.

Using the truck was good and i like it, Once i got used to it.

I went down the street at a school parking lot and cleared part of that, just to get some experience lol.

Doing it give you all you need to get going noone can explain enough in words how to do it.

I love it and think i am hooked for life lol.

I just need to get used to raising the plow a little bit to avoid ripping any grass up.

i pushed the piles way back to have room for more snow. there is suppose to be a storm on friday so hopefully i get the full day in and make some good money.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Let us know how you like plowing when Feb comes around!:rolleyes:
  3. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

GV we need to make your avatar bigger:)
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Welcome to the life of snowplow addiction
  5. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

i will let you know how i like plowing after this coming week we are suppose to get total of up to 35 to 45 cm by the end of the weekend then everyday except one for next week there is 5 to 10 cm a day.

gotta love the per plow contracts they def make up for the seasonals.
  6. beans

beans Junior Member

I felt the same way when I got my plow truck, `09 F250 PSD with a Western MVP Poly V plow.

3rd time this year and I`m sick of it already!

I guess it mainly the liability issues that surround plowing own lot.

its gotten to the point of ``where the f do I put the snow now!``
  7. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

First of all. You shouldn't have to move your piles of snow back. They should already be back as far as they can go. Once the snow freezes, you are done. You don't have to use all that space, but you can't use what you no longer have.

As for the blade scraping the ground tearing up grass and gravel? I've had the same problem and I sometimes can go by the sound of the scraping but i usually try to pay attention to position of the truck and plow. If it is going slightly down hill raise the plow up and if going up little hill lower it. The trick is to know when and how much. If you have a lot of grass or gravel lots, then put some shoes on. Of course when you get used to it, you won't bother. Besides, you can't back-drag with the shoes on a Meyers. Don't know about the other brands.

Good luck