1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First time plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by JBMiller616, Dec 12, 2007.

1. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

Whats up fellas. Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Justin and I'm a Property Manager for a Realty Company in Hartford, CT. We have about 50 properties across Hartford, West Hartford, and Canton that we do snow removal for. Tomorrow (God willing) is going to be my first time plowing. My company just purchased a 2008 Ram 2500 4x4 with a 8'6" HD Series Fischer QC2 blade, and thats going to be my rig.

I've been lurking on this site for about the past two weeks, reading all I can, and I am confident that I will run into very few problems thanks to all of the reading I've done. I'm a regular on another auto forum so I know the value of the search button.

If there are any last minute tips you can offer please do!! I'm open to any and all advice!!

2. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Hey welcome! I am a newbi plowing too. Just got a couple good storms under my belt. All I can say is take it slow, and LOOK around. Make sure you know where your corners are all the time, and when your backing up and turning, that big plow out front really swings, keep an eye on it.

By the second storm, it felt like old hat to me. So Just take it slow, be safe, and have fun!

3. JBMiller616

Yeah for the past couple days I have been driving the truck as my daily driver with the plow on the front just to get use to it.

Thanks for the advice.

4. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

My only advice: Make sure you know where your backing up. Mail boxes won't stand up to the rear of the truck! lol. Oh, and make sure you push the snow back far enough, because I'm having a problem with the piles building up. Anyway, good luck to you. If you don't mind me asking, are you getting payed per hour or by each job?

5. JBMiller616

LOL, I'm Salary.

We just don't have very many competent maintenance guys that work for us, and the owner of my company doesn't feel comfortable putting some of them behind the wheel of $35k worth of equipment.

We have two other trucks, a 2001 Chevy 2500 and a 2003 Chevy 2500, and they're beat to **** because my guys don't take care of them.

Call it charity if you want, but I get paid good, I love the snow, and I love to drive. So it'll be fun for me.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  6. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Oh. Well, it seems like you should get a little something extra. It takes a while to plow snow. But if your happy, that's quite alright. Then there's no use for complaining. Make sure you let us know how it goes tomorrow.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  7. JBMiller616

I definitely will.

8. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Just take your time and don't hit anything. Your going to be a little slow at first but you will get the hang of it. Good Luck!!! Oh ya, don't get stuck:nono:

9. TurbDies2500

TurbDies2500 Senior Member

I started my small snow removal business 3 years ago and my advice would be just take your time when your out there and pay attention. Go slow the first couple times and get use to the reins before flying around. Make sure not to take out any obstacles and of course watch out when backing up. One thing that I didnt pay attention to my first year is I didnt push back the first couple storms snow so it backed up over the winter. You should keep that in mind. Make sure you leave room for more snow.

10. JBMiller616

Thats my plan, to just take things slow and get use to it. I have lots of experience driving large vehicles, and a little heavy machinery. Just no experience with plowing. But I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.