1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First time plowing.

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by ny65, Jan 23, 2012.

1. ny65

ny65 Member

I have got to tell you guys, we had about 3-4" of snow on Saturday. I get up, see the snow, and say to myself, "Let's plow!!" At that point my wife wakes up and says "watch the kids, I have to go food shopping." Two hours later she comes back, and by now I am chomping at the bit to get out there. As she pulls into the driveway I am putting on my boots. I pass her on the walkway to the driveway. I hop in the truck and drop plow for my very first time. WOW!! Not what I expected. I give every one of you guys that do this for a living a big ole pat on the back. It is a lot harder than it looks. The first time i hit a curb I think I may have actually messed my drawers. :) I thought I broke something on the truck. I can't see how anyone can get used to that. I did also realize that although i was told that i was missing them, i was a little lax in getting the blade guides. :( That may have made it a bit easier. I was basically judging height by hitting the pavement and then raising the plow till the hood stopped moving. Not the best scenario. I apologize for not listening. ( (They are on there now. I picked them up this morning.) I was only doing my driveway and my Dad's, so it was not horrible. I don't plan on doing it for money, or for a living. But there has got to be some sort of how to guide out there for someone like me. I know all you pro's have been doing it for a while, and had someone actually show you the tricks to clearing a driveway and how to get close to the curb without crushing the plow against it. Let's just say I had an experience. You guys who helped me with the plow, I thank you again. And any customer who gives you a hard time about your rates, give them the keys and tell them "If it's so easy to do, you do it." I bet they pay you double. :)
  2. DeggyD

DeggyD Junior Member

Well said ny65. I bought a building for my business. 24-space rectangle parking lot with a slope on the far side so all the snow goes there. I thought, 'I dont wanna pay $80-$100 every time it snows a few inches!". So I bought an old '93 2500 with a 8' western on it for $3200. Rusted to hell, but runs. I've used it 5 times, and had to fix it 4 times. Simple stuff, starter, alternator, battery, electrical connections, but still a pain in the ass. Especially a few days ago when it was hovering around zero degrees and I had my head under the hood for about 4 hours.

This site is awesome though. I have learned lots already. I have also learned that there are 2 kinds of equipment: Stuff that has broken, and stuff that is going to break.

Sometimes I regret the do-it-myself decision. Then of course, I get behind the wheel, slam into a snow bank, and yell YEEE HAAAA!!!! I do enjoy plowing very much.
  3. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

All I can say is go slower.

If you're hitting something that hard, then you're misjudging where you're supposed to be plowing.... by going too fast.

Take a chill pill, before you rip your moms petunias out of the ground before they get the chance to spring up...:laughing:
  4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You should hear what a tripedge sound like when hits a crack The first time hearing I got out make sure everything was still there
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Why didn't you just throw the kids in the truck and go? My kids have been plowing in the truck since 6 weeks old.
  6. tread lightly services

tread lightly services Member

agreed!! got a call wife was at work, threw the kids in the truck they played nintendo ds the whole time i was doing the driveway with the dingo. never once complained.
  7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Why? .
  8. grandview

If your driveway has a lip on it ,come in at an angle .
  9. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Thats how I started, my dad had got a plow 2 years ago, and he had surgery on his shoulder so he couldnt use the controller and drive. Guess who found something better than video games at age 15, me. Now I do sidewalks, and a buddy of mine does the driveways. I still get to go out and I love the feeling of being out there with the big boys haha Thumbs Up
  10. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

Try put edge markers on either side of your plow! helps you see where it is!
  11. ny65

ny65 Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I am listening. I just need snow to implement your suggestions. :) My wife wants nothing to do with MY truck. My kids are 5 and 3. They love playing in the truck, but as far as putting the car seats in the cab, I think my wife would have a coronary artery explode. Hmmmmm.... :) I now have plow edge markers on. That should make judging where the plow is a little better. It is still not as easy as people think. The truck is roughly 18 feet long, add head gear and plow, that's another 3 or 4 feet? So you are trying to maneuver a 20 - 22 foot long object to clear a drive that is maybe 20 feet long. So back back dragging I end up almost against the opposite curb, blocking the whole street. A lot of back and forth and maneuvering. I am sure there are tricks and tips that come with doing it for a long time. I just have to put my time in. But I have to say, I have not met a nicer bunch of guys. Eveyone has been very helpful and patient with me. I really do appreciate it. :)
  12. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I would use a snowblower for that drive, it would take 10 minutes. Just my .02
  13. grandview

Why did you buy a plow? This is just more or less for your drive way?
  14. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

atleast he know's what we go thew every storm minus shytting our pants:laughing:. let put him in a koas parking lot during the day, that will get him to learn some new tips and tricks!

go slower, mark you drive way( i get out and walk them with foot prints still sometimes). blade guides will help alot. remember its not a race do it at your own pace and learn the truck and plow then before you know it, it will take you a whoping 3 minuets. also offer to do your neighbors driveway for free it will help get more seat time with this shyt year were having, and might make you a couple bucks in the long run! happy plowing and remember dont smile just yet you might knock your teeth out on the steering wheel:laughing:
  15. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

Where on LI are ya? I am in Suffolk on the south shore. Maybe we'll catch each other on the next storm and I will give ya some tips...Also if you are sticking out in the road invest in an amber light on the roof of your truck. You want to be visible so people watch out... Believe it or not but doing driveway takes more skill than roads and lots.

Just found your other post... realized you are in Kings Park. Just bought a snowblower off a guy right by St. Catherines...
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  16. ny65

ny65 Member

I was just in St Catherines this morning. My niece had a baby. :) I want to basically do 3 houses. Dad's, sister, and mine. Tranny went on my old truck and i started looking for a new one. This F250 came up and had a dump bed, the plow was a great bonus. Considering last year with that blizzard, my daughter was in the hospital (turns out nothing serious) I drove home that night following a plow truck most of the way home. The next morning I was plowed in 3 feet high and 4 feet wide. I had to get back to the hospital. A good neighbor helped me to dig out. If i had the plow then, it would not have been a problem. As you guys know I had to put some time into fixing it, but for my purposes it works. The only thing wrong with the plow is me. :) Like you guys said, i have to go slow and get some experience.
  17. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

Plus every homeowner that plans on doing any home improvements needs a pick up. The fact that yours has a dump and plow is a double bonus. Good to hear nothing serious. My cousin just started at St Catherines as an ER Doctor. Just finished his residency at Stony Brook. We should get together one night for a cup of coffee... I have a 4 year old boy who cant wait to get in the truck with me. Loves to take over the controls when doing the driveway... You will see, plowing becomes an addiction... lol Before you know it you will be wanting to make some extra cash with it.

Take care, Joe
  18. perrysee

perrysee Senior Member

my kids always went plowing with me and loved it ,nothing easier then the back and forward to put them to sleep lol
  19. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

i got ya beat. 4 weeks old Thumbs Up
  20. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I really hope the baby wasn't in the truck when the plow fell off......