1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Time Plower

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bean7654, Oct 29, 2009.

1. bean7654

bean7654 Member

I have a question. I was wondering how many accounts (standard 2 wide, driveways) people plow that only have one truck. im starting this year for the first time and im not sure what i can handle yet. just looking for a ball park so i dont get over my head.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

It's not about # of accounts so much as time it takes to complete the route. For driveways that size (you didn't say how long - I'm assuming "standard" for you to be around 50'), I'd say maybe 10 if they're fairly close together. See how that goes and add more as you get faster with experience.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Start small (10-15) and leanr the first year.

4. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

With 3 to 4 inches of snow I can do 3 an hour.
    That is standard vinyl village track homes. Usually in an L shape.
    Straight drives will go faster.
    Don't over do your bookings or when you get the bigger storms you will have a lynch mob on your hands.
    Everyone want's be first on your list.

5. bean7654

bean7654 Member

Thanks guys, thats exactly the answer I was looking for. I was thinkin 10 would be around my starting point.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Put your phone number on your truck and if people call during a storm you may have time to plow for them too.

7. bean7654

bean7654 Member

Thats actually not a bad idea.

8. TonawandaNY

TonawandaNY Senior Member

How many will significantly depend on how close they are together. I have 28 right now. I am going to cut off at 30. Keep in mind my route is for the most part only a .5-.75 mile radius from my house. In that radius there are over 1400 homes, plenty of business for everyone to share.

I roll out of my drive and with in 800 ft of my house I have 6 of my customers.

By gods grace I was luck was that way this year. It helps that I was advertising and walking the neighborhood, and knocking on doors in September. I also got lucky, one of the people that plows in my area did a crappy job and I picked up alot of that persons customers. If a customer starts talking poorly about another company, I have found the best responce to be ask who it was so they know your interested in what they have to say. However, don't comment or make poor remarks about the company they are speaking about. Just listen to what they are telling you they want, and offer a solution on how you will do it better. If you look like your honest and you act like your honest, then they will will trust you and sign up.

When you go knocking on doors look and act like your mother is watching. It helps if you can do a little recon and find out what everyone else in your area is charging.

Keep in mind I am noob just like you. I am only sharing what I have done to make myself successfull this year.

Have a great season!

Steve

9. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

yeah the worst thing you can do in my opinion is overbook early on. If you are over your head the calls from new customers are just an annoyancce since they are after the 50 calls from pissed off customers you have not serviced yet. and sht you are tired.
    I dont do many driveways but I always feel like I could use another few customers then the storms come and I am glad I get all my customers done and a few cashies on the side
    so I guess 10-20 but I am a lot guy

10. Jaysled

Jaysled Member

Hey Bean hows it going? Good luck this year what side of Rochester will you be plowing on? I'll be on the east side suburbs.

11. bean7654

bean7654 Member

Hey! I will be out on the westside in the Greece-Gates area.