1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First time plower...big lot opportunity

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by lukeinboston, Nov 29, 2005.

1. lukeinboston

lukeinboston Junior Member
    from boston

Hey there,
    I drive a Dodge Ram 1/2ton PU, with a 7ft Meyer plow.
    I'm enrolled in college and my vice-prez saw I have a snow plow, and asked my to work out a price for the school's lot, it is 2 separate lots with a half-moon drive way, I did the sq footage and it came out to be 99,000 sq-feet. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO GIVE HIM FOR A BID, AND HELP WOULD BE GREAT,
    I'M IN BOSTON SO WE GET TONS OF SNOW

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Any pics of the lot, i wouldn't know a price but a pic might help others help you. Just go to google and type in the address and that should give you a map view and you can also choose an advanced overhead view of the property. that works for me when i need it. Good Luck

3. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Why don't you ask him what he paid last year---explain to him your new at this--where are you going to put the snow when it starts to pile up? Are you responsible for salting and sanding?Is he not happy with the guy who did it last year? Would you want to be responsible for poperty damage, can you afford the liability insurance(Probably steep fo under 25 yrs of age) I would stay away from this one! If you are just starting out start small--But just my opinion

Good luck

4. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

In my opinion that'd be a nice size to start out with for you. Since you have a 7' blade, if its easy pushing and stacking it'd probably be pretty straight forward. But also on the same note,(assuming you are uninsured) i personally wouldnt want to be responsible for a public lot where there are people constantly walking around on it...could turn into a headache. Good luck

5. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Does this college operate round the clock 24/7 or is it a commuter school that everyone goes home at the end of the day. Since you did not mention salting, are the lots clear of cars and pedestrians and the access road gated off so no vehicles can enter the area and pack the snow down before you move it??

Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  6. Stoney

Stoney Member
    from NW OHIO

If the lot is clear of cars in the early morning and nothing to go around I would say $2.00 per 1000sq ft would be a fair price and $.30 a lb spread for salt.

7. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Just thinking out loud...how are you going to weigh the salt if youre dealing in bulk? But also, if youre picking up the bagged salt, $.30 per lb is only a few bucks more than the cost of the bag.

8. Stoney

Stoney Member
    from NW OHIO

.30*50=$15.00 for a $3.80 50lb bag of salt. Gas stations take between 100 to 150 lbs depending on the sq ft. I only used bag salt. Some of the newer business I use Magnesium Chloride and it is higher per lb. So basicly I am making $11.20 per bag of salt.

9. MisterIceMan

MisterIceMan Junior Member

Hey I'll be willing to help you out..i'm north of the city. Give a hollar if you need the help! sorry for not answering your question..but 99,000 is quite a bit of area...it's a little over 2 acres..try to figure out how long it would take you to do the entire thing and bid $150 per hour.

10. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Wow. I wish we could get .30 per pound around HERE. Unfortunately tough, no one would pay that much. The guys that do the bulk salt would then be coming in at around HALF our cost.

11. lukeinboston

lukeinboston Junior Member
    from boston

Thanks for all the help!!

Hey fellas
    Thanks a lot...just to answere some of your questions.
    *The college has students who live on campus, so there are cars, but in the past they just had the on-campus students drive off on the already plowed area then plowed whatever was left.
    *I don't have a salter...but their security crew salts all the walkways. and part of the lot...

*SO TELL ME IF YOU THINK DIFFERENTLY---$130hr for 6" or less, and $20 dollars per hour more for every suceeding 3" Tell me what you think!!

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

$130/hr. sounds great to me. Why would you get more per hour for a larger snowfall? It is already going to take you longer so you will make more, but if you can get it, go for it.

13. douglasl330

Hey $130/hr is great(because your not travelling--- You will want to stake the lot so you don't damage your truck and the property. you may want to consider subbing out another truck for storms that will be big that way you will be able to keep up with it(or if your truck breaks). Make arrangements for a loader and get an hourly price for that. This is just in case of large storms you'll need to pile the snow some where!
    Can security arrange that the overnight parkers park in one area? This would make it easy on you instead of plowing around cars scattered here and there. I still feel this is a large undertaking for someone that has not done it before. Thats just my opinion and I wish you all the luck and hope it works out for you!

Best of Luck---wish for a small 3" storm to be your breakin storm and not a wet heavy 8"

14. genrock

genrock Member

you will definately want a back up truck that you can call on for the heavier snows and you can split the difference with him. Does this college has a auto mechanics school? If so maybe you can work out a deal where they can rebuild your motor and trans for a couple of free plows. Or if the truck breaks down they can repair it and youll plow the cost of the repairs dont know maybe?

15. douglasl330

Let us know how you made out!

16. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

First look at insurance. That is going to be a killer. Next you can think of price per hour and what you want to make per hour but dont bid per hour, bid per push. Do they want you to be out there keeping drive lanes open ect and then do a final push/clear plow later? Dealing with a ton of traffic is a royal PITA. It makes your life difficult and being in a lot with cars and pedestrians increases your chance of hitting someone or something a ton. You also are talking about a large lot with an inexperienced driver and a small truck and blade. Your productivity will be down and it hard on a small truck to work in a large lot. For this I would plan on changing your ATF fluid now and add a aftermarket trans cooler. Also run a good amount of ballast behind the rear tires and its probably in your best interest in buying some pro wings. Also if dealing with a lot with traffic get yourself a little spinning warning light. Dont get a strobe. You can get a mag mount plug into the cig lighter hallogen rotator for cheap. Also spreading material or having the ENTIRE lot slated will make your life eaiser plowing and decrease your chance of someone slipping or slidding into each other.

IMO you should pass but its your rodeo.