1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

first time out with Xtreme V

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by BoulderBronco, Nov 21, 2007.

1. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

We finally got snow. But barely enough to plow. There is only about an inch on the streets at this point (4 A.M.) But I figured I would go out and play with the new Xtreme V for a few minutes to get the feel for it. I was out for only about 15 minutes but it gave me some time to give it a quick test. To be honest my first impressions were not great. I love the speed of it and I'm sure when the snow really starts falling I will love the versatility. But I am seeing two initial problems or complaints. First. If the blade is not perfectly straight it will not scrape a clean path for the full width of the plow. If it has a slight angle to it only one half is actually scraping, the other half is slightly elevated (not quite touching the ground.) It is probably one of those things I will just have to get used to with a V plow. Second. This is more irritating. If moving at any sort of speed, over 10mph, the snow blows over the blade and right into the windshield. It's real bad too. After just 30 seconds of doing this I had enough. My wipers could barely keep the windshield clean. Also it covered my plow lights in a matter of seconds so they were useless. I am actually real concerned about this. Luckily I don't do any big parking lots so my speed is usually under 10mph. But it seems like it could be a real issue. Anyone else seen this with this type of blade?

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

As far as the snow blowing is concerned, you should put a rubber flap on the front to help with this problem. In yesterdays snow, any plow would have blown snow around as it was pretty light and fluffy, even though it was sticky.

3. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

I am not sure about your problem with the sides being level mine was fine and I installed it myself. The blowing snow was a problem for me too but a rummer deflector cured that...if it is light fluffy snow though every plow will have that problem.

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

With all that lift in your truck is the A-frame level with the ground with the plow down> If not you are going to have to do some modifications to get it level.

5. BoulderBronco

I think perhaps I did not adjust it right when I installed it. I only eyeballed the A frame and it was not a perfectly level area (driveway.) I think that would cure or at least help both issues. If the A frame is to low (needs to be raised) at the truck then that would tilt the blade forward a bit more and help the snow from blowing over the blade. Flipper, I'm no longer plowing with the Bronco. After last winter I decided to retire it from plowing as it was starting to crack the frame due to the lift and A frame not pushing the force exactly with the frame. It was putting the force along the frame but also pushing up. Anyway I got myself a new 08 F350 Diesel. SWEET!

6. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

A rubber flap will help with the snow and your push beam/A-frame are not adjusted correctly,it's critical the A-frame be level and your push beam bolts are in the correct holes.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The A-frame not being at the correct height will definitely affect the scraping ability of a V but it won't cause the snow to more easily come over the blade...but like the other guys said, a snow deflector will help with that..

I don't think guys with V's realize how critical the correct A frame angle is..... it's important on a straight but it's critical on a V, if you want it to lay flat on the ground.

8. BoulderBronco

We are finally getting some snow. The mountains are getting absolutly pounded. I adjusted the Xtreme V and loaded the bed with 700lbs of balast. HOLY CRAP! This blade is awsome. Super fast, scrapes great, and saves me a ton of time. I did one place that usually takes an hour in about fifteen minutes. Never getting a straight blade again.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Glad to hear it's working good for you now Boulder.....

10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I just bought and installed Fisher's snow deflector kit for my V and first off, I dont like the center being open. I think there is still a ton of snow getting through, but it has helped somewhat, a bit expensive but its solid. As far as not being level....I never had this problem. About the only complaint I have is the back dragging ability or lack of, its great for 3 ft then lifts too early, many times I have to go over it twice.

11. home rescue

home rescue Member
    from wv

Hey Brian, had the same deal backdragging, our snow was real wet and packed easy. What I did I just pushed forward first then backdragged the small piles away from the garage doors. By the way, we are starting to see more and more v-plows here, but sure feels good to have the first stainless steel in my area, catching alot of attention.

12. ppease

ppease Member
    from Maine

I think the XV backdrags much better than my old 8' MM. The cutting edge is at a much steeper angle, so it doesn't ride up on the snow as much. I have one spot to drag about 30 feet. I did it in scoop the other day, worked great. The XV is fantastic, and the SS has people looking. There are a couple others around here.

13. chaseatg

chaseatg Member

They back drag even better with the Fisher back drag cutting edge installed. Part # 44281 7.5 ft,44282 8.5 ft and part # 44283 9.5 ft