1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First time out with the new loader/BX12 review

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Well, we got some plowable snow, slush and freezing rain to push the other day (it wasn't picture worthy). It was a very heavy 2-3 inches to say the least. I know it wasn't much in the way of several inches but just as bad being very wet snow and frozen slush. After a couple wind rows, it started pushing the trucks sideways. Having a containment box saved quite a bit of time imo. Running the loader for the first time was a bit intimidating at first but after a few passes it was cake. All I can say is it definitely takes the place of at least two trucks! As far as the new BOSS BX12.....it was awesome! It scraped up the very packed down snow and ice like butter. I could see it moving up and down with the contour of the parking lot keeping it on the ground, I think that in itself is a huge advantage keeping all the weight of the box on the ground. It tripped as it should going over a few manhole covers but all I heard and felt was a slight ba-bump. I only had about 3 hours of seat time but after a night like we had all I wanted to do was go home, curl up into a ball and drink myself to sleep,lol. Hopefully we get more to plow this week but all in all, a loader is the way to go and the new BX12 is a great push box. More to come later, I will keep reviewing the box as the season goes on, cuz everything works great the first few times.
  2. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Great review Brian, we are using one this season, and are glad to see your 1st time reviews as it is too early for us to dream about a plowable snow...we are getting close. We will put our feedback into place too.
  3. Brian Young

Great, looking forward to it. Our weather is in the 50's tomorrow and Wed. then into the 30's for a high and into the 20's at night....we'll see.
  4. Brian Young

2nd, review....we got hammered all week with a lot of blowing and drifting snow (the kind that turns into cement). After 20-25mph winds packed everything together nice and tight it was absolute hell trying to keep up, but we did. But on with the review, everything was still wet, heavy snow after salting the heck out of everything but this thing scrapped down to pavement on every pass. It scrapped so much snow I now know I need a bigger loader as mine struggled with a full box (nothing like plowing at 3-5mph). There is definite savings in salt with this box. With a typical plow or box, many times the hard pack snow won't come up causing you to use quite a bit more salt to melt it off but this thing scrapped it right down letting us use the normal amount of salt needed to get it to black top. More snow on the way and maybe some pics.
  5. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Pics, or Brian gets Banned! ......:D
  6. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

What about Boss's design makes it scrape better then another steel edged pusher?
  7. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Agreed! got friends up North and heard you guys got hit hard
  8. motorider000

motorider000 Senior Member

I just got a new Boss bx 12 and I am using it on my New Holland Backhoe. The plates that allow the box to float up and down seemed to bind up about five minutes into plowing which took away all "float". Before I parked it i shot a whole can of lithium grease into the area where the plates slide and then gave the box a shake. One side dropped and one stayed put. I hope this helps to free up the slides on the next snow.
  9. Brian Young

At the lakeshore we got about 6-8", 7 miles south got 24+ in less than 12 hours! Plus the winds didn't stop blowing for 4 days......IT sucked! There are some areas a little further south that got over 4ft. This storm lasted for 3 days. The drifting was the biggest problem.
  10. Brian Young

IDK is your bucket level in the hitch? Also you have to chain it up a certain way. I welded D rings to the inside of my bucket, ran the chain through the D rings then through the holes in the slip hitch to the ratchet binders. Nothing should be chained to the box itself at all just bucket to slip hitch. And yes I greased the heck out of everything, get some low temp. grease for the slots.
  11. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

So were you plowing 6-8 or 24 inches?... heck of a storm! How did you make out?
  12. Brian Young

Yes,lol Mike, I'll pm you.
  13. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Yes my friends are south of you in conneaut lake
  14. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

Round two starts sunday and goes to wed again snow and blowing should be fun time up here in Erie the mistake on the lake.
  15. Brian Young

3rd review,lol and probably the last until something goes wrong. We finally got a normal snow fall, 4-5". Everything seemed to go well, even after bashing it into some chunks of old frozen snow. I love the moving end plates, I ran into a curb twice and all it did was slide up the curb. Fixed end pates would have hurt bad I bet. The lot that this equipment is on is salted all the time to say the least but pass after pass all I could see behind me was black top, again, even after running over the snow time and time again. BTW I figured out my loader issue, gas pedal goes down about an inch more and believe it or not, there's more power when the pedal is down all the way,lol.....need to adjust my seat so I dont have to stand on the pedal, my right leg is still jello. It was moving full boxes full of snow and 10ft in front of it all night. Pictures to come soon.