1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First time out with my new pull plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HALH VT, Feb 4, 2007.

1. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

I used my new home built pull plow for the first time yesterday. It is well worth the time and money I put into building it.

I didn't save any time, but surely did a better job with less frustration to myself. I am sure that with more practice I will be able to cut my time. I was being pretty careful about backing up, because I don't really have a feel for where the plow is yet. I put candlesticks on the ends, but I am also going to try a bike flag in the middle to show me where the plow is.

The only real problem is that a couple of places come off the town road at steep angle, and the pull plow drags when the front end of the truck starts up. I need to redesign the lift or put on a longer cylinder to raise the plow a little higher.

My accounts are all rural residential 43 of them and only one paved. Several of them were designed by the architect from he77, in collaboration with somebody who just plain hated snow plowers. You know the type, narrow, crooked, with dead end garages, some with stone retaining walls on one or both sides, no good way to get the snow away from the doors. I kept track and I made good use of the pull plow on 18 out of 43 driveways, not to mention my own.

I do have a couple of Questions. The snow was pretty light and fluffy yesterday, but if it is heavy and wet will it stick in the plow and then fall out in the road when I hit a bump at higher speeds? Also does wet snow pack enough just backing over it to make a problem cleaning up? I know that when I used to back drag a lot of it, once I was finished thrashing around there would often be a bunch that was pounded down and was difficult to scape up.

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Well to help answer your questions, 1. The wet snow can stick to the moldboard of the plow. You may want to spray it with fluidfilm, or something to keep it slick. Or you can hop out real quick before leaving and kick the snow off of the plow. 2. With the back drag plow, when you are pulling it, it is roughly the same as pushing the snow. If it weighs decently, or has some sort of down pressure, it should scrape it pretty clean, even after driving on it.

3. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

It does have down pressure. What I am asking about is pulling snow up and then backing over the pile to get the front plow against it. Should I push the pile off each time, or can I do all my pulling and then push the piles up?

4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

If you are dealing with piles of wet snow, then yes I would push them out of the way each time before backing up. It would end up being a mess if you kept driving over the pile and putting more and more snow on top of it. It would be such a PITA to move that large, packed down pile of slop.