1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

first time out pricing!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ScnicExcellence, Sep 5, 2008.

1. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

So today i went out to take a look at a few drives and small lots to clear. three small lots like 5 car parking and a lane way for each about 50 to 60 feet long each. also one bigger lot about 20 cars all with good places to push the snow pretty striaght forward. then two driveways three back drags on one and two on the other with about 25 feet of walk to clear and the front small patio on each walk only on one drive though.

I have priced them as follows the three small lots and the bit bigger one i priced at 170 per push for all of them. two small and the bigger one are next to each other basically all one lot. and the fourth lot is about 10 minute drive away. i priced for $170 per push for all four of them take about 1 hour total at most for all of them.

Then the one driveway is about 3 minutes away from the fourth lot and it is charged at $35 per push three back drags and there will be on car in the driveway almost everytime i go there, also have to shovel off the 10 feet of walkway from door to the driveway.

Then the other is two minutes from there and is two back drags and 25 feet of sidewalk and a very small walkway from door to driveway about 8 feet long. charged at $30 per push

I haven't put anything in writing yet!

I assume i am on track here and won't go bankrupt pricing this way. I am thinking maybe a bit higher on the driveways from now on though.like maybe $5 more each one. let me know what you guys think.

The trigger will be two to three inches. will be extra charge for everytime it hits 3 inches wether it hits 3 times in a day or 1 time a week there will be a charge for everytime i go, of the full amount or possibly a bit of discount off of the original clearing.

2. ScnicExcellence

everything has to be done before 7 am.

3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

how much are you charging them for the shoveling of walkways? that could take longer than plowing the drive. You throwing salt or sand on them too?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  4. salopez

salopez Senior Member

having it done by 7am doesnt work!

what do you do when it starts snowing at 6 am and it snows though the day? or it starts at 5 am and snows till 10?

how about you will be there with in a certain time from when it starts snowing?

5. ScnicExcellence

the walkways are included in those two bids the buildings lots have no sidewalks to be done by me, sand and or salt will be provided but still working on the pricing for that, i am not sure what to price on the salt or sand. They want a per time salt price and don't know when they want the salt to be put down, i guess i could charge them $20 each time to salt and salt when ever it gets below a certain temperature.

Some input on this would be helpfull!

6. ScnicExcellence

well the home owners want to be able to get out in the morning so if this means that there is two inches before 7 am i will start once that hits not before i will give my self a time of say 8 hours from the time the snow hits two inches.

If you have a suggestion other than this throw it my way please.

I am still working on my contracts for snow clearing for the customer to sign off on.

7. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

That's what we ended up doing with all of our jobs. I try and make sure that our residentials are plowed once by 7 am, and then again by 4 or 5 pm during an all day storm.

8. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr Senior Member
    from WI.

Recheck your figures. Think about the pricing structure your using. I believe (imho) you may want to think about a cap, say the 1st six inches at that base fee and then a per inch fee after that tacked on. Also salt and sand are going to cost a bit more than what your thinking. Keep asking ? and dont be afraid to stub a toe.

C.

9. ScnicExcellence

thank you for the advice i was actually thinking about adding on for anything from 6 to 12 inches

But by the time it gets to 6 inches i wouldve already plowed once, i imagine if it snows 12 inches then i wouldve plowed 3 times already and they get charged for everytime.

10. ScnicExcellence

so the three small apartments and the 1 little bigger one got taken today by someone else. i talked to the guy two days ago he said yes you have the deal send the paper work over. I went to send the paper work today as i only heard of the insurance yesturday. he knew i was sending today, so i called him to get the email he then said well i contracted it out already, i say why, you already told me i have it. He then said well i was in a rush didn't want to get stuck for the winter so i signed the first guy with the paper here. The price was the same but he got there with the papers first.

This sucks, they were good buildings for me to have. i even might have the one beside them. oh well nothing i can do now.

11. ScnicExcellence

learning experience from now on i will be bringing the contracts with me and having them sign right away, as soon as they agree to the price.

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I think he was BSing you! He could of signed it and you could of brought the insurance papers the next day.

13. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I agree, we often sign, then send in all the extra paperwork.

14. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Stay close to that account, sounds like it's already in your route and watch and see when the snow hits, you may still wind up being the guy IF he doesn't get the service he expects, JMHO

15. ScnicExcellence

the part that sucks the most is the guy said he hires someone and sticks with them until they can no longer provide the service, eg the last guy went under.