1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First time out clearing snow.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ScnicExcellence, Nov 17, 2008.

1. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

So for the first time i went out tonight i did four contracts that i have because thats all i got right now.

I was suppose to finish putting the tranny in my truck on saturday and finish all other minor things like the floor and rocker panels. on saturday as well.

My mechanic that helps me do most of the work got injured and is in the hospital for the weekend therefore leaving me to do my contracts by hand and have to wait till monday now to finish the truck by tuesday hopefully i can get the truck going right away adn everything done because i am going to loose money from not being able to do drivebys to try and get work later today.

All in All i got the four contracts done and i am happy to have them done even though not having a truck.

I can already tell i will love snow clearing once i get the truck and not have to shovel.

I thought i would share my experience with everybody.

I have learned my lesson about not being ready, but then again on the plus side i can say that i have commitment to the business and can say i started with only shoveling. lol.
  2. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

I know what you mean about not being ready, but Im sure we are not the only ones.
    I also only have 4 parking lots and abut 10 houses if that.
    I went out for the first time Saturday nigght. My truck still has work to be done to it, which I hope will happen today.
    What are you plowing with ???
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

A very good learning experience for people "new" to plowing.
  4. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

You will be golden if you can walk away from this experience with a little piece of knowledge, ALWAYS have a backup plan!!!!. It sure is refreshing to see someone under the age of 25 that is willing to work hard for what they want!!!. I commend you for your commitment, with that attitude you will go a long ways in this business!!!:drinkup:.

Keep up the good work and enjoy thepayuppayuppayup
  5. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

Good for you. I know a lot of people that wouldnt have done anything at all and just let the drives go.

6. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

3 things:

1/ ditto what everyone else said... having a backup plan is essential

2/ be glad you don't have 30 accounts--- shoveling them ???????

3/ hope your truck gets done soon --- when it does, you will LOVE plowing ----if you can stand shoveling, you will be in your glory behind the wheel.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the industry in general!
  7. Gerry125

Gerry125 Senior Member

x2 Keep up the good work
  8. ScnicExcellence

Yeah i don't mind the shoveling it wasn't bad at all.

My backup plan is to shovel the driveways and if i had more then i could handle shoveling i wouldve paid someone else to plow them or to help me shovel them.

Even if i had 30 accounts i still wouldve went out to shovel them, now if i were to get them done before i fell over would be a different question. lol !

I love to work hard it makes it seem worth it to me to be out there, if i am not working hard then i will not make enough green to be happy in end.

I am young and full of ambition to do god in life, (had alot of people laugh at me when i said i would start a company and do really good with it)

The truck i have is a 1990 Gmc 2500 with heavy duty suspension and a 7.5 ft unimount plow Meyer i believe.

The truck needed alot of work once i got it but i will have it all done tomorrow for sure,

I put New front and rear brakes, Fixed a gas leak, Putting one of those fancy Brand New USED tranny into it, new floor and new rockers on both sides as well as resheeting the door for drivers side. and also some new emergency brake cables.

I got the truck for $1000 so it is not too bad of a deal for what i have to put into it.

I think once the winter is over i will put in a Crate engine brand new maybe.

I hope things go good for me in this business and i would love to be able to continue this next year and for the years and years to follow.

It's not calling for enough snow for me to work again untill monday so i will be up and running by then.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  9. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I commend you on your efforts, good to see that some people out there acutally want to work for a living.

Incase something else happens (I hope it doesnt) I would talk to someone local about being a backup for you and you one for them. That way you can make sure your drives get done and if they have a problem, you are there to help. Plus it will give you experiance.

I dont plow commercially normally, but I am a back up for my father and his friend. If they for some reason cant go out and plow, then they call me and I go out. I get a certain amount for eash place I do. For example, if its a $40 driveway, I get $30. Which works for me because the headache is theirs not mine.

JMO, good luck this winter. Make sure you post some pictures of that ride when its done.;)
  10. ScnicExcellence

I have a guy that wants me to sub for him and he said if i really needed it, then he would come out and give me a hand, of course at a price.

I am almost done with the truck tomorrow everything hopefully will be done i keep getting calls for quotes and have to go out and do that quote and stop working. But the tranny is in just have to tighten it up throw the oil in do my checks on the tranny, then welding and painting and off to the races.

The body work i am just going to make it inspection passable and then go over it through a slow time or in the early spring.