1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First time on my own. Advice?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CashinH&P, Feb 29, 2012.

1. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Hey guys I have been plowing for a friend off and on this year as needed but I was given a truck (my grandfather left it to me) and I am going out on my own for the first time tonight. Any tips? I will be doing driveways with a 2000 chevy 1500 (up graded suspention) and a 7'6" fisher sd, we are forcasted to get 6-10 inches between now and thursday night.

Any tips? I have expariance but not alot so any advice will be helpfull.

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

It will probably be wet snow, so plow with the storm. That truck will do fine. Not much else to say.
  3. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

I feel like I should have some tools with me. What tools/other stuff should I have with me?
  4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

A tow strap or a chain is the first thing that comes to mind. You never know when you are going to get stuck. It happens.
  5. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

Fluid Film.
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Just don't go bombing into the snow or you'll be standing there with a tow strap hoping someone will help you out.

PS,listen to Dano:)
  7. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

This might be a dumb question but what is this?
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Calling Dano!:help:
  9. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

Only the best product you never heard of, lol. Fluid Film is a solvent free, lanolin based corrosion preventive and lubricant. It doesn't dry out, it never gets gummy or tacky, and it stops existing rust on contact. It doesn't freeze and works as a release agent for snow and ice, keeps your locks buttery smooth, protects your battery terminals for at least a year, etc...Almost unlimited applications.

Shoot me a PM with your contact info and I'll send you out a sample can for free. Nothing like trying out a product to prove its worth.
  10. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

sounds sweet ill pm you
  11. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Try to remember that your not driving a bulldozer.. And TAKE YOUR TIME. Its not a race. Good luck have fun and be safe..
  12. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Hot cup of coffee and some sweet tunes.Take you time and go with the flow
  13. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Thumbs Up Make sure your comfortable in the truck, nothing worse then wearing something thats not comfy and then it sucks the whole time. I dont wear much to keep me warm, just crank the heat and go!
  14. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Spare hydraulic hoses and plow fluid, few bags of salt.
  15. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

I just got back form lowes I actually had thought of having hydraulic fluid and some salt so a went ang grabbed some I put my tow strap in the truck I have my socket set, and im getting the coffie pot ready now haha I think im ready!
  16. Salty dog

Salty dog Member

Don't go it alone , get a shovel buddy :)

shovel job.jpg
  17. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Well guys I did it plowed this 10+ inches of snow here today. I anede up with 12 accounts!
    I have a small parking lot and a small gas station, and 10 driveways! I Started 1 am yeasterday and finished around 4. Im just heading out now to clean up the two comercial accounts while there are no cars in my way! The first few hours were killer and a real learning curve but i got the hang of it. Thanks for all the advice!
  18. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

Always carry a few extra wrenches as you may drop one in the snow and its gone or break one in the cold and be screwed. I also carry a good shovel to dig with in case I get stuck besides a snow shovel, tow straps, full socket for all the diffrent sizes on my plow and salter as well as wrenches, small sledge hammer, extra light bulbs, washer fluid, wiper blades ect...
    Just go through your truck and think to yourself..."what is essential when I am plowing that if it breaks it will shut me down? And what can burn out or what can I run out of?" Now carry those things in your truck. Don't forget maybe a blanket as well in case you get to take a nap or get stranded to keep warm. My truck is my home on wheels when I am out plowing and I am prepearred for everything, but it has come from experrience as it will for you as well.
  19. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Haha yeah i had a nive surprise when my wipers fell apart on me in the middle of the storm. Learned to keep some extras in there. Im switching the plow from this truck to my main truck which is a chevy 1500 extended cab z71 (up grads coming to the front end) and use my 2000 for a back up because I keep all my tools in my z71
  20. Kingcuster

Kingcuster Junior Member

hey Dano 50, I was wondering if you still have extra sample cans for free. If not where can i find your product in the western new york area. I have checked home depot and lowes and couldnt seem to find it.