1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First time not working in 12 years.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by splitty, Dec 16, 2013.

1. splitty

splitty Junior Member
    from ne ohio

New here so thanks in advance for any help.

I have a Boss straight plow that was installed on a 01 hd duramax when new. I bought it a couple years ago from the original owner. Recently I noticed that when I let go of any function on hand held, the pump would continue to run for a second. Shortly after, once in a while nothing would happen at all (I thought) when I hit any function. I would get out unplug the big plug and plug it back in and it was fine. Well that worked for a short time. Until today, I was plowing the old mans driveway down the road and the plow quit, and unplugging it didn't work. I drove it home pulled it in the garage shut it off and just turned the key back on but not started.The solenoid clicks but nothing moves.

Also the smart hitch has never worked, Motor ran but didn't move plow frame. When all this new stuff started the smart switch switch quit engaging the pump. I just want to get the plow working I am not worried about the smart switch working right now. I just want to get my neighbors drives open for them.

This is a older unit that worked good. I use it to plow all the elderly people in my neighborhood. I don't charge any of them and don't have tons of money so I want to try and fix it without replacing a ton of stuff I don't need to. Any help will be appreciated by many here in the snowbelt. Merry Christmas all.

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

If you are having problems with the harness try spreading the prongs with a small slotted screw driver or pocket knife first. May also be your solenoid.

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Test for signal at solenoid. No signal you have control or harness problem. If you have signal and plow motor does not run test for power coming out of solenoid. No power coming out of solenoid replace it. Betting it is solenoid.

4. splitty

splitty Junior Member
    from ne ohio

Thanks guys I'm on it. I will let you know what I find.

5. splitty

splitty Junior Member
    from ne ohio

I spread the terminals on the big gauge red and black wires and it started working again. It still runs for a second after I let go of the button though. Sometimes its more than a second. Could the solenoid be sticking? I doubt it is in the hand held because it does it no matter what direction I press on the controller. The blade doesnt keep moving But I can hear the pump out there and it sounds like it is dead heading. It even looks like when it quits the lights get slightly brighter. The solenoid is pretty old looking. It is the one that has the little wires down at the bottom on the motor side.

6. splitty

splitty Junior Member
    from ne ohio

I just want to thank you guys that took time to respond. It is very much appreciated. Like I said there are some very grateful people that I can continue to help because of your kindness.