1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

first time motor swap , could use some advice

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by elite1msmith, Jun 16, 2010.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

01 dodge ram 2500 5.9 L auto trans 4x4

swaping the motor, and i had a few questions, as well as would welcome any advice or experiance

on the old motor,

so fare we removed the starter, the bottom bolts the hold the engine to the bell housing, the 2 upper side bolts on both sides of the motor. is there a top bold that is centered with the distributer?

i assume, remove all these bolts, discounnect exhaust, discounnect electical, remove hoses, air filt housing, remove fan shoud, remove hood, chain up the motor (is there a good spot to chain it on? i assume it has a hook on it) tource the motor mount bolts... how do i seperate the trans and the engine? i have never seperated an auto trans, so im not sure how the torque converter plays in all of this.

any advie for installing the new (used) motor as well.? thanks guys:mechanic:

2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

should be 6 bolts on the bellhousing then i dont remember but 3 or 5 bolts on the torque converter. remove the inspection cover on the bottom of the bellhousing and you can see them. dont torch the engine mount bolts they will come apart rather easly. if the motor is origanal there should be two hooks on the engine from the factory. pull the radiator out its easy and better safe then sorry. after you get everything unbolted start to lift the engine and use a pry bar to separate the engine and trans., make sure you have a floor jack under the trans to support it

3. elite1msmith

from chicago

good info, thanks, i belive that we did remove 6 bolts at the moment. i will get that inspection plate out, and basicly your saying i should be able to turn the motor over and remove the bolts from that point? are those the only bolts that hold the TC to the fly wheel? is there any type of keyed shaft?

4. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

ya if you have a helper he can turn the engine over from the crank bolt on the balancer, if by yourself use a long screwdriver and turn it with the teeth on the flywheel. its not keyed or anything.

5. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

also i like to disconnect the motor harness and put it up by the winshield to keep any wire from getting smashed or pinched. i would also advise that youmake a mental note were all the grounds are on the motor/ firewall so you dont fry anything trying to start the new motor after everything is installed. taking your time will also save a couple bucks in the pocket when it comes to unpluging old sensor and what nots.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm swapping a Duramax right now and the money I spent on the Helm's service manual was worth every penny. One small screw up will pay for it. Hope it goes well for you it's alot easier pulling then putting in back in.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Take plenty of pics, and label each wire as you pull them off the sensors.

8. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

pull the fan and water pump to get some extra clearance

there should be 4 or 6 flwheel to TC bolts. make sure you block or jack up the trans.

watch you don't get wires/hoses pinched on the install

take your time and pay attention to the small stuff

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I always label connections with blue painter's tape. If tape will not stick I use tags with strings attached and tie it to the connection. Write down wire routing and all ground wires that bolt to the engine. Put bolts/nuts for each component in baggies and label them. Take pictures of stuff you need to remember. No camara? Use phone camara and send to e-mail and print off. Remember to use dielectric grease in all the junction plugs and connections when you install engine. If you break the retainer clips on junctions plugs keep them together with a wire tie or tape together with elecrical tape. Remember to change the oil,filter and all fluids. Check the high pressure power steering line for damaged or missing O ring. Use a torque wrench for proper torque when ever possible. I use thread locker where ever i can. So stuff does not come loose and it will come loose if I need to work on something. I even change the thermostat on jobs like this so I know it's new. Look at the removed radiator, are fins straight and no bugs or stuff blocking air flow? Paint it black with some rattle can paint. Might think about new spark plug wires and spark plugs too. The more you do, the less you will do later.

10. elite1msmith

from chicago

motor #1 came out with not too many problems. i need to pull the replacment from the donar this weekend. thanks for all the tips, very helpfull

11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If you have the space save some of the stuff off the old engine for spares.I saved emission's stuff off one. It saved me $75 a pop here and there on the Big Red Drain. You can take the alternator to an auto component rebuild shop. They can up grade it for about $1.50 an amp. Then it fits in the same place it came out of. Up grade the feed wires to the battery and your set. I have a 5 gallon bucket that I throw bolts and stuff in. The stuff has helped out countless times

12. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Lots of pictures and bag n tag all nuts and bolts. That way when its time to put it back you will know what bolts go where and you don't have to dig trough a can of bolts.

Mike

13. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

I'm doing a 5.7 Vortec right now and 2 things that I bought were worth every penny. A stud extractor, and like Dave said, a good service manual.