1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First time Magic Salt user...

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Maleko, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

I have plowed for years, Always resi's.
    This is my first year getting commercial lots. So of course I bought a sander.
    All my friends that do this said to only buy Magic. So I did.

I am just amazed how great this stuff is. My lots are wet within a few hours,and stays wet even if it's freezing cold for days on end.

They even told me to pre salt before the storm and it keeps it from accumulating if its light enough for a bit. I get paid on the amount of snow falling, So if it snows an inch and I only salt. I still get paid for the plow fee even if I don't drop the blade once. I love this stuff.. Even know it smells like horse feed.... LOL..

Im sure you all know this already, just wanted to share my thoughts....:D

Thanks for listening....

2. Harold Finch

Harold Finch Member

Yes. Its a great anti/de icer. I am a dealer in northwestern nj.. have used magic for many years. If you decide to pre-treat try using the magic minus 0 liquid. It will prevent snow/ice from bonding to pavement during storms and make plowing high trafficed lots much easier. Usually you want two of these three conditions tho.. 1) ground temps below freezing 2) air temps below freezing 3) moisture present on pavement I would not pre treat with granular de-icers before snowfalls of more than two inches because granulars will effectively melt the falling snow until they are dissolved and "used up". At that point the water will freeze and you will wind up plowing the snow that accumulates after the first inch or two on solid ice. Liquid magic-0 works very good as an anti-icer. Try it out on your next cold significant storm, put it down a couple days ahead(as long as there is no rain before the storm) at a rate of 15-20 gallons per acre. Let me know if you need any other info