1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

first time loser

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DYNA PLOW, Oct 30, 2001.

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

hey guys... i lost my first contract this year, i asked if my bid price was way out of whack and he replied i was right on the money, only they decided to use the contractor from last yesr as everyone was happy with him.
    thing i can't understand is the contractor uses straight sand on ther church parking lot and i bid it with salt.
    i really wanted to get that church account as the other contractor is not even from my village.
  2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Sometimes politcis play into these things.

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Geoff is right on with this one. I have known that I bid under people or offered better service and still lost out because the competition "knew" someone. Of course I would imagine that this has happened to my advantage in the past as well. In the end it is all just business.
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Happens all the time around here. I could bid a one acre lot for $5 and not get it. On the other hand, sometimes it works to your advantage. They wouldn't have "Joe" plow their lot as a freebie.

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

ya i know it's just business and politics , ain't gonna let it bother me though. i'm gonna bid it again next year so that guy better not make any mistakes this year!!
  6. Armor

Armor Member

Maybe he is a church attender. Also some people belive it or not would prefer sand instead of salt so that they aren'ty traking salt into the cjurch. Also, if you haven't bid it with calcium pellets they could be worried about the sidewalks.

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

what are you saying...that sand does'nt get tracked into the church? and i talked to the minister and he was'nt very happy cause all of the sand that this guy laid down is still laying on the parking lot and looks like @#it. however the board of trustees makes the decision.
    oh well
  8. Armor

Armor Member

Sand will definitley get tracked in but I don't believe will do the damage salt would do. If the minister is upset with sand, what's the problem. I would try to get in on a mtg with the board and find out what's up.