1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First time doing roads... Holy trip edge!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ChevKid03, Dec 9, 2009.

1. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Well, we ended up getting a bit more than expected this storm and I was contacted by a friend of my brother who plows for the town of Bellingham. Well, long story short, he needed a second truck as they guy who was supposed to help him was a no show. Understand now that I do driveways only but hey, I wanted the experience. Anyway, I can see now the reason these things (X-blade) have trip edges... I hit a few man-hole covers with the truck and couldn't believe the way the plow jumps... Guess it's better the plow slams around than the truck.... Hope I get another call. I can DEFINETLY SEE why they want 9' plows on the street....

2. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

That is why I plow streets slooooooow.

3. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

truck never went over 10mph.

4. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

There are a few around here that make you wonder if you still have all your teeth. It a sure way to wake up when your tired and plowing at 2am.

5. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

Even going slow the plow jumps 3 feet in the air...... wakes you up real quick though

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

my buddy used to plow for Dedham (mass) with a 9' Fisher, and he ended up going with a Rubber Cutting edge to help with the tripping. It really does jolt you good!

7. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

Next time wear a mouthguard :laughing: I did a Waste Management lot 2 years ago they never put the final layer of asphalt down so the drains, curbs ect. stuck up it was fun the first time out the guy I was plowing for didn't have the brains to mark them :realmad: The best part was I was useing my old 88 chevy and the cab mounts in the rear where non-existent, so when you hit things the blade would trip and so would the cab :nod:

8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Please tell me those are not truck nutz on that Dakota.

9. plowguy43

Nope its a spreader light, the only nutz on that truck are mine on the drivers seat ;)

10. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Haha, that's good.

Any time I see someone with those things I say "aww, that's cute, your truck's balls are under the bumper... mine are under the hood." :laughing:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  11. plowguy43

Nice one, I like that! Truck Nutz are almost as cool as louvers.

12. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

hehe, don't forget the neon green double bladed wipers.

13. plowguy43

Whats wrong with double bladed wipers, they look cool and are effective.

kidding

14. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

lol, almost as bad as a local kid whos not quite right in the head having a set of pigs feet hanging off the front and rear bumpers.

15. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

What part of Bellingham did you plow....Did you have to come up from Taunton, that must of took forever... Mass-Highway called us in @ 6:30am & it took me 45minutes to go to Wrentham from Medway...which is normally a 12-15min. ride

Tom

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

People think guys from Maine are hicks. You mid-western ish guys have your own very special breed of rednecks.....

17. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I plowed Easy St, Brion, Florence, Jame etc... First time up there. Took me 20 mins from Taunton... Wasn't too bad.

18. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

I contract with the city and plow streets. I use the truck pictured in my avatar. In my experience plowing commercial lots can be hard on the truck because of starting, stopping, turning, shifting. But doing streets is brutal on the plow. You just don't know what your plowing over. Just this week I broke a hydraulic cylinder power angle mount off the plow (that's 1/2 inch steel) bent a 1 inch diameter clevis pin and snapped a hydro cylinder rod, all in seperate incidents. :dizzy: And my plow and cylinders are municipal grade.

As for cutting edges, rubber cannot take ice or hard pack off, so steel is more effective. A bottom trip plow, where just the cutting edge trips, works well for streets because when the plow trips, the load of snow is still carried by the moldboard which doesn't trip. On a full trip plow, the trip is certainly more violent.

19. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I plow streets.They give us the same route, so after you get to know where all the tough spots are it"s a little better.You can slow down when you get to them. It is hard on the plow and blades.The traffic and cars suck though.

20. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

What time did they call you in & how many hrs did you end up getting.....You must of driving a friggin rocketship to make Bellingham in 20 minutes wesport