1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First time doing Plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by gasman12, Oct 16, 2014.

1. gasman12

gasman12 Junior Member

Hello out there i'm new to the business i've been cutting grass for 5 years and i'm just getting started into plowing this year i was hoping someone out there wouldn't mind passing on some advise on what to charge for this service i have a 2011 ram 2500hd just bought a new plow snow dogg 7.5 and a new snow blower.if anybody can pass some info along i would really appreciate it.
    thank you

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Find a company and work for them first.

3. gasman12

gasman12 Junior Member

i do some work for this one company they did ask about plowing but i just don't know how to charge them?

4. dieselss

Find a snowplow company and work for them first. Then go out on your own. You can either use there equipment, or yours. Im thinking you probably don't have the proper insurance for plowing either.

5. gasman12

gasman12 Junior Member

i have the insurance?

6. dieselss

General liability, 1million.

7. gasman12

gasman12 Junior Member

yes sir i do

8. dieselss

Ok you have that. Ever plowed before?
    Even know what you going rates are?
    What are you plowing res. Or commercial? How many accts? What's your trigger. Have you made contracts yet? Is it just you or do you have help? With help, do you supply the workers comp? Salting?

9. gasman12

gasman12 Junior Member

i have plowed before but just for family and a couple of friends no help just me
    i addvertise for lawn maintence but i always get call for plowing

10. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Get a bigger plow, first. That plow is like a postage stamp on that Ram. Look to get $100 an hour, minimum. Figure 4 $35 drives an hour as a goal. Or, better, 1 $150 lot per hour. Better to pass on a job than do it for almost nothing.

11. gasman12

gasman12 Junior Member

got another question how many inches do you go out

12. dieselss

That's all up to you and your contract.

13. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Work with the storm. I usually go out around 2 inches or whatever the customer wants

14. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Customer makes the call, unless it's the wrong call and you need to educate them. Most of my residentials are done at the end of the storm, unless it is over 12". Then I will hit them twice. A business may need a zero tolerance approach.

15. Scooby snacks

Scooby snacks Junior Member

First of is that your only truck cause you will destroy it do you know anyone else who could help you if you have a problem. second did you talk to your insurance broker about snow plowing.then u better word your contracts correctly about liability will u be applying salt.if you Are that changes your insurance cause now your lieable for slip and falls depending on how your contracts are written . Oh and are you a corparation cause you don't wanna lose your house if you get sued. Truck has to be in corparation name to. So you don't have any exposure to law suits

16. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Do yourself a favor and sub for someone else for a year or two and learn the business. Disregard the above poster. Your truck and plow are fine, but you may want to get wings for your plow to make it more efficient and be able to cover more ground.

17. chesterlawn

chesterlawn Member

Not sure why others are saying go work for someone else for a while, you are snow plowing, you push it, back up, and push again. Oh I forgot, you find a spot to stack it!!!! For a small drive I charge around $30 but I don't shovel and I keep a very tight route, I can do a driveway in a matter of a couple of minutes then off to the next one minutes away. I put out a few stakes on my drives (most of my accounts are residential) in November cause when you get a storm and you are out plowing at 2am it helps a lot. I plow with a 1500 regular cab short box so your truck will be fine, also I put around 400 lbs of sand(bags) in the bed of the truck too. I plow if the snow is around 3" or more and if we are getting a very big storm I will go out at 6" or so and do a quick in and out on most of my accounts. Just start off slow, take your time and you will be fine.

18. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

As Chester said, don't listen to the others saying you have to work at a plow company first. The best experience you'll get is "on hands". Why learn at a cheaper pay scale with another company? I never plowed on my own before and got what was needed and went at it. I was using a 4wheeler the first year! Then I got a call about plowing some (2) private "roads" (not driveways). I didn't even have a plow for my truck and I took it on. Scrambled to find a good set up for the truck and just in time. It snowed about 3 weeks later! They are the highest paying accounts I have. I average just under $200hr to plow and salt them. Then I do the private "driveways" for 8 of the 11 homes at the top of the mountain that the roads lead to. ZERO TOLERANCE accounts. Doctors with money. :D

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  19. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Nobody's saying that he HAS TO go work for somebody else. But it sure helps if you've never done it before, don't know anything about writing up contracts, how to bill, etc...

20. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

Where to put it is sometimes not all that easy and could be the hardest part. When it starts to melt then refreezes, will it be at the entrance or walking area? I'm also not saying you must work for someone else first but why not learn what not to do under someones elses name and reputation? :jester:
    Everything above seems like decent advice... maybe bump up the sand/salt in the back. Personally I like at least 1,000 lbs and have gone up above 3,000 lbs. (your truck may be max at 1000)
    Start with picts of the drive without snow and maybe ask where the homeowner would like the snow. Have you ever used google earth to plot out the site? Sometimes you just can't put it where they want... but it shows you are thinking for them.