1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First time damaging while salting!!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mustangmike45, Nov 25, 2010.

1. mustangmike45

mustangmike45 Member

Well, I was out salting last night for the first time this year. I was using the new dump truck with tailgate salter and had the box raised. Well, not being used to the box being up in the air while driving I got too close to an overhang at a bank and clipped the corner. Ended up crushing the gutter for about 8' on either side of the corner!! I figure it will cost about $50 in materials and an hour of time to fix it myself for them, I am just stressing about having to call them in the morning and report the damage as I have never had to do this before. Hope they aren't too pissed off about it:angry:

2. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

UR FIRED!!!!! HAHAHAH Just kidding!!

3. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

One reson to run a V-Box.....**** happens

4. nekos

nekos Senior Member

Nothing ever costs as little as you think it will when it comes to damages. I'm not going to tell my story about when i hit something, don't want to unnecessarily scare you. I will say this though. take a lot of pictures of the damage you did and make damn sure you fix and pay for ONLY what you damaged.

5. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

True that! LOL been there done that one... never in a plow truck... but with a trailer... not paying attention... I knocked a railing over (wooden hand railing by steps) and it was an ordeal. Have your insurance guy come out and take pics and let them know that it is the ONLY damage. The SOB's that I took their railing down tried to get a window and siding out of me! Luckily a frequent shopper said its been that way for years and got me out. I take pictures of all my places 360 now before the season.. (givin it isn't a call up) just because of POS Immigrant building owners who want you to pay for their delapidated building!!

Don't stress on it, but take the pictures. Make contract. Get approval to fix it back to the way it was. If they say no then have a monetary amount to get them... and make sure you get it settled in writing if that happens. (Some people will say they were about to update it, and would rather take cash to have new siding/gutters put up rather than have the work done, just to redo the place anyways after it has been repaired). I wouldn't offer that solution, but it may be a choice if they don't say fix it. Make it clear that they must come to you for the fix too! or else you could get someone elses bigggggg bill.

6. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

V-Box spreader...

7. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

V box's are for beginners. :laughing: Undertailgates is where its at yo. :D

8. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

My V-Boxes are running....how about your undertailgate? :mechanic::laughing:

9. big schmitty

big schmitty Member

That's why you have insurance. You do have insurance don't you:laughing:

10. mustangmike45

mustangmike45 Member

oh yeah got insurance for sure. 4 million policy. this is the first time in 17 years of plowing I have ever hit anything! I am sure they will be cool about it as I am also the property maint guy for the complex the building is in. The damage looks to be minor as the truck was barely moving when it clipped the gutter. It bent the gutter down about 6 feet out from each corner so it will just need a few stright sections and a corner section as well. Lowes has the stuff I need for about $25.00

11. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Great advice! We do a set of condo's and I tapped a garage door casing plowing one year and it was literally a dent the size of about a nickel and about 1/4 inch deep and I called to let them know the next day and of course the owner already called them and said we "smashed into his garage door" and ruined the whole garage. He tried to blame us for dents and tares in the old casing, a tare that clearly came from the inside out from damage he or someone else did backing out. Even if your going to replace it yourself, get pictures, even better if you can time/date stamp it.

12. nekos

nekos Senior Member

One of my first years plowing i hit a plastic sign on one of those drive threw tellers at a bank. It cracked the sign in half an put a small crack in the PVC pipe it was attached to. Figured it was no big deal, told my boss. Nothing to worry about. A week later a $5800 bill shows up in the mail. They had to replace the entire system.

I still have a checking account at the bank and i go there often... Wonder when they are going to get the guy to come out and fix it. 6 years later it's still cracked. :realmad:

13. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

We run dumps with the same type spreaders. Our trucks have a safety device that won't let the truck move if the box is up. We have to lift the box and let the material slide to the back, then put it back down to start salting.

14. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

Couple claims on your insurance and you either can't afford it anymore or you are without it :)

15. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

Leave insurance for the big claims not minor stuff

16. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

I only claim if it is HUGE dollar or involves crippling or killing people...

Like if you mow down a section of a house or an entire garage...

If you hit a Bentley...

If you run over anything like a person or a family pet (if they are wealthy pet crazy people who claim on their animal lol)....

If your chasing tail... and daddy starts shooting at the plow truck...

OR in the worst case-scenario, you are getting frisky in the back of her daddy's bentley, kick it into gear, run over the dog...run through the garage door, hit a person, take down 1/4 of the house, and get shot at by her daddy as you run back to the plow truck to finish your route/get outta there before someone notices...

17. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

lucky for me, my girlfriends dad doesn't own a Bentley...

He owns an Audi