1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First time Blizzard owner. Any advice on things to avoid?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by SSS Inc., Jan 18, 2011.

1. SSS Inc.

SSS Inc. PlowSite Fanatic

Just bought a used truck with an 8611lp. Plowed two storms so far in the past week and think its the greatest thing since sliced bread. Saved 30-40% of time versus a western 9' straight blade. We have Western straight blades on all of our other trucks. Just curious if anyone has any good advice to avoid problems. Anything that maybe simple but avoids costly mistakes with the wings and everything would be helpful. I'm sure I could search as I already have but I would be reading for days. Plus I would miss out on any new tips some of you guys might have.

Thanks

2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Add frame stops so the angle cylinders dont pull apart. Grease pivot pins on the plow where it meets the push beam regularlly.

3. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

You really dont add those to keep the cylinders from pulling apart. Its to keep the pins from bending. These plows have no stops for the angling. It uses the rams as stops. So adding them will add life to it.

If your edges are close to new, get carbides and add them to the edges on the wings. These plows burn through edges fast. The carbides will give them 4x the life.

Also dont plow with the wings full extended. Not in the scoop, but out. Pull them in a few inches, this will keep them from bending back.

4. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Yes, you do add stops for both those reasons

5. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Also drill an 1/8 inch hole in your wing pivot tubes and use a grease needle to fill those tubes with grease.

6. maelawncare

You know i never thought of any of these.

7. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Raised manholes.

8. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

lmfao this one is the best. sorry but i couldn't help but laugh.

9. SSS Inc.

Thanks guys for all the good info.
    The cutting edges are brand new. What is a good source for the carbides. Is that a dealer item or aftermarket?
    As far as the frame stops where are these being positioned. Any Pics?
    I already kind of adjusted to plowing with the wings not fully extended(straight), but what about back draging? Does everyone bring the wings all the way in? I started with them out a ways but they would flip forward so I brought them in about halfway and it seemed to work fine. If the everyone says bring them in I will go that route.
    Lastly, do I have to be scared to death to bump a curb or anything or just be cautious? We run lots of plows and every once in a while you hit something, it happens. I guess what I'm getting at is it total destruction or is it just worse then a straight plow for obvious reasons.

Thanks again,

Rick

10. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Adding a second spring in the slide boxes will help keep the wings from folding forward when backdragging. I back drag with my wings fully extended for maximum width.

The Winter Carbides (google them), can be had through most dealers either local or online. If all else fails, Call Jerre in Erie. he'll ship them out to you.

11. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Yeah, forgot about the second spring. Makes a big difference, I've still got one with only single springs, and gets a little floppy backdragging heavy, wet snow.

Also use threadlock on manifold mounting bolts, and antiseize on the slidebox cylinders and slidebox stop pins.

12. steve_robert

steve_robert Junior Member

Buy a BOSS

13. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Why? I think he's looking to increase his productivity....

:popcorn:

14. maelawncare

Good one :salute:

15. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Sorry, I love Boss and all, but even I'll admit that was stupid.

16. SSS Inc.

I just sold it and bought a Boss. What should I do now? :realmad:

Working on getting the extra springs. When I used it the first time and the wings flopped forward when backdraging I was hoping there was something that could be done. I liked the idea of backdraging 11' at a time especially the light stuff(big time saver).

Thanks again.