1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First this season, hopefully no more (long)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Nuttymopar, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Nuttymopar

Nuttymopar Member
    from Vermont

Well, when you get a 4wd with a Blizzard 810 plow stuck in a deep snowbank, you know you are stuck. Wet, icy snow just coming down and I am out joy riding during lunch break to see the lovely views of Vermont. 4wd hi, 1st gear and coming around a corner and see a car down the embankment with the right rear tire slightly off the ground due to the angle of slide and 4 high school kids hanging in the middle of the road. Almost hit them while trying to stop. They have wrecker coming so I continue on up the hill. Slipping most of the way. Well, down the other side is a different story. Even in Neutrel the truck was just going out of control, 5 mph is what I was going. Pumped brakes, hit the plow blade down and hung on. Didn't hit hard but angled blade to the right hoping it would bounce me off the bank and back onto the road. Nope, just sank right then and there because of a 10 " ditch that was covered up. Ended up shoveling around the complete truck of packed snow from previous storm and about 4 feet in front of the blade. Moved everything to the other side of the road. Plow frame was on the ground, Front Diff was about 1/2" off the ground all due to ditch. Due to weight transfer into the ditch, left tires just didn't grab at all. After getting winched out and back on roadway, they unhook the winch and truck slide 6 " by itself . Everyone just jumped out of the way. Then I hopped in and it slide into another snow bank but this time at a drive way so I backed up a little and was able to get a snow chain on one tire. That helped greatly for the rest of the ride. So, lovely views of Vermont. One snowbank from one side moved to the other. Took about 3 hours all totalled. A little long for lunch I guess. Nothing damaged and just took my time so it wasn't bad but don't need it again.

2. ChipsEarthWorks

ChipsEarthWorks Senior Member
    from CT

Okay I am state something for the record. That had to be just boat loads of fun :eek: Maybe next you could go off three snow banks,or a mail box ,or another car :dizzy: :D B ask yourselve this did you have fun,cause thats all that matters

3. Nuttymopar

Nuttymopar Member
    from Vermont

It actually wasn't too bad even though it took 3 hours to get me back out. It was nice outdoors, slightly snowing, trees were fully covered with heavy snow so it looked beautiful outside. Just kept plugging away at the snowbank to try to get out. it wasn't until the wrecker came to get 2 other people out that I was able to get winched out after he was done with them. So not bad at all. Dried off the truck last night to get it cleaned again and check for damage, none.