1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

first stuck

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by tinkenboutit, Dec 9, 2009.

1. tinkenboutit

tinkenboutit Junior Member
    from zone 5

I bought a 2005 Polaris ATP 500 4x4. 290 hours. I also bought a 50" Moose blade. I used a Husky garden tractor for snow removal the last few years. What a pain.
    Anyway, it is like night and day using the ATP, except I have to get used to its larger size in tight places. I also have to get used to the fact that it is possible to get stuck even with it. This is our first big snowfall (blizzard) that I have used it in. I was trying to punch a hole in a 4 foot drift on a sidewalk. Rammed it a few times with the blade raised
    . Made about 3 foot of progress on each ramming. All of a sudden, I realized it was stuck. Had all 4 wheels on an ice patch I didn't know was there. It slid sideways and there I sat. A little salt and a bit of digging and I was on my way again, though. I guess the ATP is an acquired skill. :)
    All in all I am pleased. Had to pull off though because the wind has picked up to 35 mph and the drives are filling back up right away. I'll give her a good run tomorrow though.
    I can foresee situations where a good snowblower attachment will come in handy. Maybe next year when I can afford a second 4x4.