1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

first storm...while owning a plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jlong, Dec 17, 2008.

1. jlong

jlong Junior Member

Let me begin by saying I am posting this so the rest of you can get a good laugh and maybe point out the not-so glamorus side of plow. This is how my first "event went"
    * I will begin by stating I only had one job of my own and had committed to someone else to be a sub for them and help them out with the "mountain" of work he had"
    * well the day starts with the job I had secured for myself ( small dental office) I arive to do the lot and notice it has already been done??? come to find out the guy from last year just showed up to do it with no contract or anything because "he never got the call not to come"
    * After getting over that I call Guy A (for whom I had committed to sub for) he opens and shuts his phone and will not answer it....
    * I go and find a couple of driveways and sidewalks to do so i can pay for my damn diesel
    * well about 7.30 at night i get a call from guy B (friend of mine) who needs help with a lot I think ok this day is atleast salvageable...I arive and begin pushing for about an hour when i blow a powersteering line and am shut down for the night.

anyway I'm now searching for new sub work..and I guess it can only go up from here
    thanks for letting me vent.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

If you secured that dental office with a contract....charge them for the push.

You had no agreement with the a-hole who pushed it...so you just made money off of him.
    I 'd call him somehow and tell him that he can push my lot for free anytime...lol

The guy your subbing for sounds like a di#k...and usually the contractor calls the sub.

Breakdowns happen..but they are the worst. You will make it through this. Tell us how next time goes. good luck

3. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

Just bear and grin it

These things will happen, I would not personally work as a sub for a guy that does not answer his phone, or even call. The guy who pushed your lot, you made your gas money, without even spending it. and for the break-downs, always a good lesson to have a back-up plan, if that happens and you still need to do you one lot, maybe call the guy who just did it for you, he has experience :)

4. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Looks like the guy from last year showed you up a bit doing the lot first. Did you steak out the lot? If not, I wouldn't charge the owner for the job and just have a talk with him about having him contact the contractor and also be ready to explain why he had it done before you even arrived, because I bet that comes up.

I wouldn't get involved with last years contractor, that's between the owner and him.

5. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

I would knock on some wood befor you said it can only go up. Things can get worse and sometimes they do. I wish you the best of luck in your season. I didnt look to see where you are from so i dont know how you ur contract looks. If you get payd perpush just leave it alone dont bill. If its a monthly thing just bill them as normal. For the record a power steering line is an easy fix or a trans or getting hit by a truck or something.

6. jlong

jlong Junior Member

Thanks for all of the advice, It is apreciated...I've now called/emaild roughly a dozen companies in my area looking for sub work and not heard anything back. Hopefully they all don't wait till the night of the next storm to call me back hahahha I guess it wouldn't be terrible I would have work :bluebounc

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Kind of late in the year to look for plowing work.
    Mose people have subs and help already lined up.
    Good luck the rest of the year.

8. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

I wouldnt go that far now id say by the end of next moneth if u dont have work you wont get. These snow usally break all of people who didnt put money away or didnt keep there trucks up this summer

9. jlong

jlong Junior Member

yeah I was kind of afraid of that... But what else can I do?? I guess next time I will just committ to help multiple people that way I won't be the one getting F'd when someone changes their mind...I don't like haveing to be that kind of person but I guess it is just part of business.....

thanks for all the advice
    Jeremy