1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Storm of the Year in New England

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dmjr77, Dec 2, 2007.

1. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

It looks like New England is going to be getting its first snow of the year. We are expecting 6" to 12". Just getting in from prepping trucks.
  2. snowbankr

snowbankr Member

Was doing the same thing here, went and got 2 of the 3 all set, started the last one, warmed it up, went to back up to load sand/salt mix...it "thumped" and wouldn't back up. Goes like a truck possessed forward but NO reverse. Looking for a good 700R4 tranny now. Hired a friend that bought our old truck to cover this event. Way to start the year...just like we ended last plow season..blown tranny.
  3. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

Wow that is a bummer. I had 2 headlamp housings that gave me a real fit, but was able to get them adjusted properly.
  4. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

When is this supposed to happen?
  5. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

Overnight Sunday into Monday - 6 to 12 inches
  6. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

I'm in Oxford County, Maine on the NH border. We are in the 12" - 18" band and usually get the higher end of the forecast due to our elevation.

It will be my first time plowing with the new truck and plow. It replaced a 97 Dodge 1 ton with 9' straight Fisher. The truck ran fine as long as it wasn't cold or wet outside so it was a perfect plow truck.
  7. ppease

ppease Member
    from Maine

The new plow is mounted, 1/3 yard on the sander for ballast. Looks like we're going to plow all day. I have 35 new driveways from a guy getting out of it. At least he offered to ride the first time out. Should be fun........
  8. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

Sounds like it is going to be a good storm, I am hoping for no problems.
  9. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Hey Pease. Where are you located in Maine?

I'm in th Machias area.
  10. 03SuperCrew330

03SuperCrew330 Member

I just got done plowing my 3" of slop, now people are calling because their plow guy never showed up! payup
  11. frostypuck

frostypuck Member

Boston Snow

Man, How'd you get 3 inches? I'm like 15 mins south of the city and it only dropped an inch of snow before turning to rain, so I never went out. I imagine I'll get a couple calls tonite when the slush freezes....

Chris in Norwood
  12. 03SuperCrew330

03SuperCrew330 Member

I'm in Arlington brothaaaaaa! Its snowing like mad right now! Seriously.
  13. hdcust

hdcust Junior Member

We ended up with about 13 " today as of 7 pm I have had enough of snow for this yr....
    hey DMJR how was your day????
  14. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Barely got anything on the ground...maybe 3".
  15. ppease

ppease Member
    from Maine

I'm in Hope/Union area. Just inland from Camden. Got 12-14 inches. So far so good. Headed out to finish cleaning up.
  16. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Well Here it came Down pretty Good 6 inches or So? by Noon--Plowed for 12 Hours Got all My Customers Done? except for this Dusting that Don*t want to STOP!--How Do YOU Guys? Charge for Mulitible Visits?--as most Commerical Customers have to be Kept some What Clean?--w/ Two & some Three Visits & its still comming Down & according to the Watherman? its NOT going to END until Late this Afternoon?--How Do You handel Multi Visits? --OleTower--

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Regarding multiple visits...

Ole Tower, I simply add to my quotes when I look at the job...if a driveway is $50, I'll say additional pushes will be $35 or something similar...this seems to be a decent method of getting accounts, as almost all my clients have agreed to this. Basically, I'm charging a little over half of my "1st push price"
    Some folks say they charge the same price for 2nd and third visits, but I like to give the customer a little break for the additional pushes...just my humble thinking....heck, I'm not going to make a $$killing$$ at this and I like to think I'm treating folks like I would like to be treated...simple enough in my estimation...!

One customer wanted a price "per storm" and had a long tiered walkway he wanted shoveled too...well I had to quote him $100 because of the "unknowns" involved...he hasn't called back yet!
  18. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

20 inches in the East Machias, ME area!!
  19. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Got about 6" here in Derry. I'm happy with that. I've got one commercial that' s a 3 hr job and 24 resi's...I was out for 10 hrs. Timing of the storm worked out so ppl got out in the morning and were working all day and I could take my time getting to each location and most ppl weren't home.
  20. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I got ~1 inch of snow and sleet with a little freezing rain mixed in.