1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Spreader advice

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dirtymartini, Feb 17, 2014.

1. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Member

I'm looking for my first spreader and looking for advice on what to stay away from. Right now all I do is driveways so a tailgate/receiver mount is what I am looking at. Bagged salt and calcium is what I plan on using. Any recommendations?

2. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

I don't know that you can really go wrong with any of them out there in good working order. Only real suggestion is get one with enough capacity for your jobs.

3. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Member

I noticed the SaltDogg TGS06 comes with a vibrator installed already. 750 lbs would be enough capacity I think.

4. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Member

Snow ex mini pro 575

Just found a SnowEx Mini Pro 575 on my local Craigslist for $500, I sent the guy an e-mail.

5. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

The Boss TGS600, unless you want room to grow then the TGS1100. Nothing comes close to their ease of attachment and quality.

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You do realize you don't drive around with the spreader loaded, you only load what is needed at the job site and then spread.
    For doing driveways and small lots you can get away with a 350lbs capacity spreader. Most spreaders do have a Vibrator as an option, you do want one regardless.

Lurk around on C-List you'll find good spreaders this spring and save a bunch of money.

7. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Member

Thanks, that is exactly the advice I I am looking for...

8. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

I'm very happy with my SnowEx junior 325. It holds 4 50lb. bags which is plenty for most jobs I do. No need for a bigger spreader if i'm only putting 4 bags in it at a time. Plus it's small & light, easy to remove to use the tailgate and re-load bags of salt.

9. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

What is so much easier about the TGS1100 than any standard receiver hitch mount salt spreader?..... it is just slide it in, pop a pin through, and hook a wire harness together on my Western.

10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

My vote goes for a Fisher 1000. We've run a couple for a long time years ago and ran everything from bulk (with a vib) to calcium and regular bagged rock salt. The motors are indestructible. The control boxes are built well, variable speed is nice to have.

11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Personally, I would be looking to the future.... will I be doing larger jobs one day? If the answer is yes, think of a two stage tailgate spreader like the Western/Fisher ProFlo2. Handles bulk salt, sand, whatever you want. Lots of capacity. Easy to load. Drawback--need two people to hang it on the truck. Not overly heavy but a little awkward by yourself.

12. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Good point, that whole do I get bigger into salting thing opens up so many cans of worms. One thing though, aren't those 2 stage spreaders pretty much the same price as a v box. I thought the Fisher one was like 3k.

13. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I bought a 2500 Western low profile used only was 1 year old It hold 650lbs
    It was a gravity flow model I didn't like it So I bought a auger for it 10 times better even spread now
    When truck leaves shop its loaded It will do 3 small lots before has to be refilled
    I already have a Vbox the tail gate spreader is nice for 1 acre or smaller lots
    Its easy to hook up One man can lift it up.
    One night my chain broke that ran my spinner on the V box and the tail gate saved my butt

14. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I seen one 2 stage SnowEx and it was like 2900

15. derekbroerse

If you are buying a new one, yes, but since he is looking at craigslist they often sell in working condition from $600-1500.

16. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Member

Good question...right now I am a one man operation, driveways only. I have been thinking about going after a few small commercial lots, but don't want to get in over my head time wise.

BTW, the Snow Ex I was looking at on Craigslist has been sold already.

17. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

Air flo mss spreader, bullet proof and simple. Growth is one thing to consider. I stuck with a tailgate spreader because even tough I have machines to move around a larger spreader the tailgate spreader is much easier to take in and out and store. The bed stays open which is better between storms if the truck is a daily driver. I do about three small lots and two driveways per storm. 15- 20 bags of salt a couple of pails of sand, my iron weight and a snow blower goes in the back and I still have a clear view out the back which always make backing up easier. Plus I like it at the end of the storm because the spreader is empty, any left over material can be removed and stored easy because it's still bagged and I'm able to wash the entire bed and truck.

18. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

What is so much easier is that it can be put on the truck one handed, even with several bags of salt left in it and you never have to pick it up, just pivot on the mount.

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4oGT3Ofs8U

19. derekbroerse

That does look pretty slick for a tailgate spreader. What if the truck is a higher 4x4? Does it have adjustment?

20. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I picked up a Meyer 350S for $500.00 on C-List in'09, it was fully operational and all I did was sandblast / paint it.
    To handle the handling issue I built a rack/cart that the spreader sits on, all I do is roll it to the receiver on the truck and slip it in.
    The Boss system is cool, I've seen it in person and it would be pretty easy to build your own spin off of it.

Looking at the future is always a good thing in business and life in general, however if your current business model work wise will continue to be the same you don't need a high capacity spreader. If you do find yourself doing larger property's down the road you can recoup the money you have in a smaller spreader.