1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Snow wasn't Fun

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Antlerart06, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Well had had are first snow on 12-20-12 Started at 6.15am Rush hour snow really sucks

Well First thing break was rear plow on the ATV It got water in the actuator and frozed up with Ice

Then alternator went out on my truck

Then my 7740 Ford lost 1-4 gears and 7-8 gears only had 5th 6th in high range
    We think 2 clutch packs went out Getting ready haul it to the dealer

Then the return springs on boss Vplow broke fix that
    Then 2 of the trip springs broke later in the day

We had around 4-6'' snow with 30 mph+ winds snow drifts Wet snow very heavy

Snow event paid well But cant complain to much I havent had any breaks for few years
    Wish it didnt do it all one day

But after I get the tractor back it might not pay well lol
  2. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

We got about 5" from the same storm. The wind was kickin! My alternator went out also, had to replace curbside. Then my starter in my dumptruck went out. Had to replace that. Backed into a dumpster, broke a tail light. I rarely have equipment failures, but it is bound to happen. Just the nature of the business. It really sucks laying under a dump truck in 20 degree weather. The exhaust pipes felt sooo nice.
  3. durallymax

durallymax Senior Member

If thats the midwest blizzard your referring to, we were stuck in the middle and got about 18" and some huge drifts. Most roads were closed. The town i live in was blocked by 6-10' drifts at every entrance. I spent 7 hours pulling cars out to clear roads for the sherrifs and giving some people rides to their plowing jobs with one of our larger tractors. Even with that there were plenty of roads i wasnt hoing to get through. Actually took the interatate with it at the end of the night the roads were so bad. Had to pull the countys grader out of a few drifts as well.

Didnt have too many break downs though.
  4. vinnys

vinnys Senior Member

Thats why its called "blood money." But gotta say, I've been hooked since 1976.
  5. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

Theres no business like snow business like no business i know :laughing:

at least your working :eek:
  6. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I would tell you how my day went today and what I backed into (with my spreader) and what truck broke down ( still sitting in customers lot) and how we had a 2" per hour snow fall rate for quite some time, if I wasn't so tired.
  7. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

sheet happens . fatigue sets in .

i once fell asleep in a lot with the spreader on and woke with a ton and a half on the ground behind me . :sleeping:
  8. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I haven't had a breakdown in years, probably 6 years now, and this is how my storm yesterday went: Alternator went out of 1 loader
    Stearing cylinder went out of loader number 2
    Lost a clutch pack out of loader number 3, only have high gear in 2 wheel drive so it's useless.
    Broke a breakline on 1 truck
    Lost something on my diesel truck. Turned a corner truck shut off, and will not start again.
    So out of 7 pieces of snow equipment, I had to do everything with 2. Makes for a long night, I am tired, and ready to go to bed, but instead I have to start fixing everything just so I am ready to go again. There are time when I really wonder why I still do this to myself, but I guess for the last 6 years with no breakdowns, it was finally my turn. Thank God my turn is over now!
  9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I have to laugh at this. :laughing:
  10. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

It's never over. Break downs don't take turns. LOL. Merry Christmas!!!
  11. ringahding1

ringahding1 Senior Member

No real break downs for our 1st snowfall, just difficult to organize a real plan because it snowed for 24 str8 hours. So by the time a plan had been generated, we were already whooped.

We did have a snow blower pull cord in need of attention, literally had to bring it back to the shop because of all the taking apart required. Toro needs to come up with an e-z-r way of getting to the guts!

Okay i will admit it, I backed into a tree! Tail light broke and left tennis ball size dent just above the light. Of course there was not enough chaos going on at this residential home for me to heighten my awareness...
  12. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

It helps to make a plan BEFORE the event. If you wait until the snow is already falling, it becomes a REACTION.
  13. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

ok guys new to this site been on lawn site before. Ran soley lawn care decided to start pushing snow this year. We got hit for about 24 hours straight as well. Started the night off with me 09 3500 cummins. The place that installed the plow did not do it right the whole wiring harness started on fire about an hour into the night. Luckily the guy running the skid loader was close and saved the truck with a bucket of snow. About an hour later as I'm waiting for my truck to get fixed my cousin who i am plowing for this year had his tranny break. His truck has about 20xxx miles on it. Got my truck fixed about 3 hours later ran and grabbed his other skid steer and struggled for about 40 hours straight. Thinking maybe i should of just stayed in the lawn care side of things haha.
  14. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

good to hear some others having long days this year, breakdowns suck, crap happens though when we put that many hrs in/on equipment. I too backed into a pole & busted my taillight & put a dent above tailight, 2nd replaced tailight on the new ford, cause I did it last year too, they really got to make bumpers better, like before.
  15. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

anyone on here ever heard of or tried themselves putting a little blade on a dakota for sidewalks and drives?? Don't want ruin a good truck if its just going to destroy it. That being said i realize anytime you put a blade on a truck its not good for it haha
  16. ringahding1

ringahding1 Senior Member

Sadly we did have a plan, it just was not that great of one(24 hours of non-stop snowing, did not allow for this). We have businesses that require plowing & shoveling @ 1">>>so $$$ wise we made out good. But I do not care or am driven by the smell of $$$(because I know it will come).

I know how this is going to sound, my drive is to be 100% serviceable to all of our customers.

We do have quite the residential route(we failed to service all of them), and since the last snowfall have had time to restructure. One of my trucks will be dedicated to rezis after helping with some of the commercials.

I just recently purchased a new Bobcat & failed to utilize it efficiently. Well thanks to my wife and her wise words we will put the new plan into effect next 2+ snowfall.
  17. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Right, I'll remember to keep doing as much of my own work as possible even if some day I have the budget to pay people to do it for me. Yikes.

Sounds like you had a bad night.

Did the bumper bend or something?
  18. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I'm sure it did. All the newer trucks are focused on safety rather then durability.
  19. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I guess I wasnt only one had problems
    I have a replacement tractor till other one gets fix
    Brought one in from the farm NH 6050 w/loader now trying find a plow for the front
    The 11'coats wont fit on it backets made for a 7740 non loader tractor

Fix the actuator on ATV it only had water in it and ice up