1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Snow today...Woowhooo...

Discussion in 'Weather' started by JayD2, Dec 1, 2010.

1. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

We got our first snow for this year today, not much, up to an inch they say but a dusting looks to be the most of it. You know how the weather man likes to make it more than it really is LOL....

I don't know about where you all are from but here, the weather people :redbounce make a very big deal out of weather here in INDY.

If a thunderstorm with a chance of tornadoes, they will have about three:redbounce:
    weather people come in the news room and all take turns saying the same thing that the other had just said lol,

then they will have about 10 people :eek: out on the roads reporting about it from different locations.....
    I am sitting here watching the news now, and they are going on and on about a dusting lol..

I have to give them this though, people here do not know how to drive in bad weather here. We have our first dusting and they are reporting over 30 slide offs, its so crazy here....:dizzy:

2. Schnabel Plowin

Schnabel Plowin Senior Member

Gotta love Randy Ollis and his crew, huh?

We didn't have anything stick down here near Greenwood, just a little in the grass. Supposedly some accumulation Saturday.

Where are you located, JayD? I'm just north of Greenwood, by 465 and 31. Also, what are you running this winter? I've got my chevy and snoway ready to go, just waiting for now!

3. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

LMAO.....Randy Ollis......You know what I'm talking about then LOL....Am I not right?

I'm very close to you, Beech Grove

4. aperfcrcle

aperfcrcle Senior Member

Hopefully him and his crew will do a good job covering the beating Dallas is going to give the Colts on Sunday haha just kidding..

5. Schnabel Plowin

Gotta love Randy! hahahahah
    You ever come by Dannemillers over on Madison and Southport?

6. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

LOL....he is the weather man, my not even know who the colts are...kidding of course..

7. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

You know, I have never been there....but have been wanting to, I wanted to see what all they got. Some one was telling me I should go there and try their trimmer string out because I have had a lot of problems with all my trimmers with the string. I don't remember right now what brand it is that the place has that I get it but its the only one they carry.

Why, do you go there for your toys?

8. Schnabel Plowin

I work there as a mechanic/ sales every Saturday during the winter. I also plow for them.

Let's see... we have shindaiwa, echo, stihl, ferris, snapper, snapper pro, toro, kawasaki, kohler, briggs, honda, rotary, stens, etc.

I'm assuming you use Repower on shadeland? You're a scag guy, right? Ohh, but if you are looking for a mower, I can get you a Snapper Pro s200x 61" ZTR for 6300. 45 hrs, demo. Or a toro grandstand with 0 hrs 52" for 6500. Or I may be able to sneak you a discount on a trimmer if ya like :nod:

9. Schnabel Plowin

And I don't even know why we hook up our plows if Randy Ollis calls for under a foot of snow. :laughing: I remember either last year or the year before EVERYONE was all hyped up on the 14-18" we were suppose to get and we barely got 2" :laughing::laughing:

10. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

What do you mean you plow for them? Do you mean for their parking lot, or are you saying that they are a mowing/snow contractor?

I almost bought some scags there at repower, they are really nice people, but I ended up going with exmarks at Henthorns.

my wife is yelling for me to help with the Christmas tree up, so I will be back in a few LOL

11. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

I was thinking of picking up a toro power clear 210 I think they call it. What are they selling for over there? Or do they carry them.

12. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

Yes, I remember this, along with all the other screwed up forecast that not only 8, but 13,59 as well. This year has been soooo bad with the weather forecast, heck I even got so tired of it once, I sent Chris Wright 13, an e-mail letting them know how bad they have been LOL....He gave some lame reason that they all get their info from the same weather boss if you will, and then I said "then if you know its been really bad this year, then why don't you find another place to get your info from" ....:eek:

13. Schnabel Plowin

No I plow their lots at their two locations, they don't even sell plows. And I would have thought you would go to mccalisters for exmarks. Never been to henthorns, but I know the people at mccalisters are great. I'll go there if my wright even needs something special.

14. Schnabel Plowin

They sell them, but I don't know what they run. Calling for 3-4" saturday I hear.

15. Schnabel Plowin

It's a hard job, I'll get them that. But it's also one of the two jobs you can keep by only being successful 25% of the time. (baseball obviously being the other)
    I just wish they could admit that it's just a "we might see snow" instead of "you will have a foot of snow when you wake up" sometimes.

16. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

The people at Henthorns I will say are really good people. I have seen them go way out of there way to make some one happy. They put on a big luncheon I think in Feb. for all the commercial customers and have door prizes, good food and such. Plus give you Christmas gift...

I did not even know about Mccalisters until after I bought my first mower at Henthorns. I have gone in to Mccalisters two or three times and have always been treated poorly, meaning I could stand there for 30 min and still no one would ask if I needed help.

I think that they are just too much in the big stuff to have time for us little guys. I can tell you this though, everything that I looked at there was wayyyy higher then Henthorns. The No-Spill gas cans was one of them, seems like they were like $6 - $8 more there if I remember right.

and they are like five min from my house and I still go to Henthorns..

So how do you like the Wright mowers? What do you have?

17. Schnabel Plowin

I'll have to check out Henthorns sometime, then. Where is that at? What else do they sell?

I have a 36" wright sentar sport with 14 hours on it. Bought it with 11 hours on it a few weeks ago for $2800 ussmileyflag

18. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

Hethorns is on Lafayette road north of 16TH st. around the 2700 block I think. I know it is south of 30TH st.

On big mowers, they sell exmark, scag for comm.
    for resd. they have some snapper riding mowers
    push mowers - toro and honda maybe snapper.

Stihl, echo, some trimmer trap, billy goat, edgit

and maybe a few other things I cant think of....

if your into real old scooters, they collect them and are neat to look at.

The owners are Gene and his wife Rickie, supper supper nice people.

LOL, oh yeah, go in there on sat mornings and they have boxes of Longs donuts, get your breakfast while your there.

if you ever go in there, tell them that Jay Davis sent you, then they will feel like they know you already....

I'm going to send you a PM....

19. the jrminator1

the jrminator1 Junior Member

Hi guys. decided to make the jump to snow removal this year. am in franklin, south of you jayd and schnabel. have talked to you both in lawnsite. hope we all have a good and safe season

20. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

Hello jrm, what are you working with for snow.