1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

first snow storm

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jackfrost, Dec 26, 2001.

1. jackfrost

jackfrost Junior Member

i live in just outside buffalo,ny,im new to plowing and this was my first storm where I had snow and it was fun,learned alot in this 12'' storm,(there was more snow north of buffalo 20-24'')had some "flag downs" on driveways and helped my buddy plow his 8 commercial lots.question though for you guys:i have a 97 ram 2500,it has the cummins turbo in it,and the 8'2''boss v plow.and when i tried to stack the snow, the plow wing bent back when it was in the straight postion.my freind said he saw it bend and told me the the locking cylinders are bad.is that it or could it be something else.oh yeah the plow is 3 years old. bought it used, worked fine without the snow on the ground.now theres just this problem.hope you all had a nice christmas.

2. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Jack, Yeah we had lotts of fun. posted about it in another thread. :)
    Problem with the plow could be a few things: bad cylinder, bad hose/connector, air in cylinder, eletrical problem, low fluid, etc.
    Is it just one side? when in Scoop or just straight?
    Did you notice any fluid leakage? Is the fluid leval right, not to little or to much, remember to check with all cylinders retracted.
    It is so bad you can move it by hand? Also I'd try bleeding the cylinders. Could be simple could be bad.

3. jackfrost

jackfrost Junior Member

hey got grass,after reading the message I checked the plow and the fluid was kind of low and I noticed some fluid on the cylinder,theres where the leak is coming from.checked everthing else It was fine.So Ill replace the cylinders,also can I replace both cylinders with the smart lock cylinders from boss?I heard these were expensive.After thinking about it I hit something before the plow started acting up.The lot I was in has alot of bumper stops.I wasnt going that fast maybe going 8-10mph.Could the bumper stop cause this leak.More snow expected for us "got grass" all in the northtowns though,I live in the southtowns so we do not get the brute force this time around.

4. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Before you go and replace the entire cylinder (unless you have allready), check to see if the old one still looks good, meaning still smooth and not chiped,dented things like that. You may just need new seals.

I'm not to farmilar with Boss plows, but I'm sure someone else here is and can help ya out better. If yer still not sure have the dealer take a quick look at it before you go and buy the cylinder. Thay are costly.