1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First snow plow - running in to some hurdles

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 86turismo, Oct 31, 2014.

1. 86turismo

86turismo Member
    from home

Hey Guys/Gals,
    This is my first year plowing. I am completely green when it comes to hooks, wiring, etc.

I recently picked up a 7'6" MM1 plow that came off a '97 regular cab GMC. I have a 98' Chevy K1500 Classic Ext Z71. I have been told by the previous owner and others that the push plates for the 90-98 GMC/Chevy trucks were the same across all 1/4 ton trucks. I have managed to get the push plates mounted however when I pull up to mount the plow on the truck the support arm that attaches the height adjustment to the back of the plow does not clear the bumper when the plow is set to the correct height to line up with the push plates.

I have attached a picture of the portion of the plow that is hitting the bumper. I have 15 hours in to this project, plus a 7 hour road trip. Hate to give up, but I am about ready to resell.

The plow is a two plug system. The guy did not give me the headlight pigtails and relays, so I am trying to find a complete whip (truck side).

Can someone shine some hope on this situation for me?

Thanks for looking and replying.

Plow.jpg

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You'll probably want to post this in the Fisher section to get more visibility.

3. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I hope you didn't pay too much

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Can you post pic of mounts?

5. AtlanticExcavat

AtlanticExcavat Junior Member

Do yourself a favour and convert that plow over to a 3 plug system, the relays are a pain in the A$$. I did mine (an 02 Silverado 1500) back in 04, after 2 years of relay nightmares, mainly only headlight issues. These are the precursoe to the isolation Module, I have some of the parts you need if you cant find them on ebay. Im in Nova Scotia and can ship to you. The SEHP power pack (which you have) is far superior to the Inst-Act. by the way.
    Dont let the guys discourage you about giving up.....its doable and will be a great setup when you are finished. But i would like to see a pic of the truck and plow line up together so i can see exactly where it is hitting.

6. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

you mean truck side clevis mount

7. 86turismo

86turismo Member
    from home

I should have stated this in the original post. The picture I posted it not my actual plow. It's a pictures I pulled the internet and used to indicate the part on the plow that was not clearing my bumper. I will post pictures of my actual plow tonight with my truck pulled up to the plow.

One thing I was thinking of this weekend is that the plow is all the way up. Meaning the ram is all the way in. This to me means if I could actually connect the plow to the truck that the plow would be off from the ground. Is this part of my issue with getting the plow connected to the truck? It seems to me that the ram would have to be at least part way out when I am going to disconnect the plow from the truck after I had been plowing. I cannot quite visualize where the plow pivots as the ram is raised or lowered. If the ram was all the way out could that potentially position the part that is hitting the bumper properly to give me the clearance I need?

Sorry if that's confusing. Again I post some pics tonight.

Thanks guys for your input so far!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  8. AtlanticExcavat

AtlanticExcavat Junior Member

As a rule, i have my lift ram, all the way in except 2-3 inches to allow for slack, when pushing the head gear back and releasing the 1 inch pins on the frame ears. Once you post some pics i can instruct you further. I would unhook the lift chain for now tho

9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I'm saying that's a start. Always lower the lift ram down before you unhook it.

10. 86turismo

86turismo Member
    from home

Here are some pics. I hope they help. Was a bit challenging to get the right angles to show where things line up and where things are hitting. While I was pulled up to the plow I measured the distance from the pins to the mounting point on the push plates and it's exactly the same distance from the adjustment rod to the license plate. Is it typical to have the plow that close to the truck?

I have been told by a couple of people that the push plates are the same for all GMC/Chevy trucks from 90 - 98. Can someone confirm this?

The push plates mounted right up to the mounting points on the frame when I removed the factory tow hooks and also the mounting point back on the frame farther, so I am assuming they are the correct push plates. I did have to have someone fabricate a piece of flat stock for each side of the truck for the front mounting locations. The flat stock that was used to mount the factory tow hooks was 2 1/2" on center if I recall correctly and the push plates are 5" on center.

The plow came off from a 97 GMC regular cab 1/4 ton.

Please let me know if there is other info I can provide.

IMG_0396.JPG

IMG_0397.JPG

IMG_0400.JPG

IMG_0398.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

IMG_0396.JPG

IMG_0397.JPG

IMG_0400.JPG

IMG_0398.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

11. kimber750

Looks like the jack support (part that is hitting bumper) is bent up. Believe it should be straight across and not have that hump in it.

12. kimber750

What it should look like.

2wntelz.jpg

13. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

yep, I just went out and looked at an one we have too. Looks like that^^

14. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

Looks like you need torches and a BFH

15. 86turismo

86turismo Member
    from home

Guys,
    Thanks for your replies. How in world did it get so bent? Seems to me someone hit something pretty hard to bend the support that badly. Also comparing my picture the one posted by kimber750 the back vertical cross member is straight in kimber750's pic and mine is buckled out. What do you guys think the chances are of me getting the piece bent back straight?

16. 86turismo

86turismo Member
    from home

Any of you guys have an estimate on the age, model, etc. of this plow?

17. kimber750

Should be able to buy that piece for around $100.

18. 86turismo

86turismo Member
    from home

The pic below is the one I posted in one of my first post with the arrow pointing to the bar. Unfortunately the arrow blocked the view of the bar. If I compare the bar with in the pic below with my bar they appear to have the same amount of bend in them. It's hard to compare based on the pics, but they look very close. I am wondering if there was a design change somewhere along the way....? Or maybe the plow in the pic below suffered the same fate as mine? Curious as to your thoughts...

Thanks again guys for all of your input.

116201295347AM9659Fisher Snow Plow.JPG

116201295347AM9659Fisher Snow Plow.JPG

19. kimber750

This happens when the jack is left down or falls down. It will catch on something while driving and bends the crap out of stuff. Also when pushing snow up over a curb if jack leg is not all the way up can cause this. Heat and BFH can fix about anything.

I would guess your plow is a RD since it appears to have only two trip springs.

20. 86turismo

86turismo Member
    from home

kimber750,
    Thanks for the feedback. You are giving me hope for this plow. So I am thinking I will find the biggest flame flower I can get my hands on and a 20lbd sledge and send you guys some pics when I have this puppy straightened out..:D

Thanks again!!
    Scott