1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

first snow plow purchase

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by macjazzy, Dec 4, 2003.

1. macjazzy

macjazzy Junior Member

I have a 2002 2500 dodge ram cummins. I have been doing some research on here reading the posts trying to decide which plow to go with I had pretty much decided on a western when I ran into someone who is a blizzard snow plow fan. My questions are which has been a more reliable plow. And which has the better hook up system leaving the most clearance under truck when plow is off. Also what type of controller do most of you prefer for a stick shift truck?

2. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

go with the blizzard power plow. they save so much time and do a much nicer job. the western is a great chioce but the blizzard just makes more sense!:)

3. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

I don't think there is much dealer support in this area for blizzards. (i guess i don't know where in Va you are) But westerns and fishers are another story. Get the handheld control for either of the two its real easy to make a bracket so that you can shift and control plow at the same time.

4. macjazzy

macjazzy Junior Member

I looked at a blizzard today the only va dealer is in sterling. Didnt really get a good feeling for dealer. Felt like a fly by night venture. Also they had a plow all torn apart that they said was only 6 weeks old and already broken.

5. macjazzy

macjazzy Junior Member

I was going to stay with the western but someone said something I hadnt considered. The western still uses a chain I think to raise the blade. Boss has gone to a hydr. cylinder. Is that a better system? More heavy duty? and does the cyl. have down pressure if you need or want it to?

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

The problem with using just a cylinder is that if the power unit fails with the plow in the down position its very difficult to get it raised to where you can transport it, with a fischer or western you can run it into a bank and then short chain them. Blizzard nor boss will give you down pressure with the lift cylinder.

If a dealer gives you a bad vibe, ask others if they have had problems with them, it may have been one of those days for them. Also, does the dealer have the enough parts to do any needed repair or are they going to tell you that they will order the parts and call you in a couple of days. At the shop i'm at, we will go take a part off the owners truck if its the only one left and you want it that bad.

7. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

Like i said before, stick with fisher or western there are tons of dealers around here. they are great plows that will more than handle everything we get around here. What size, type were you looking at getting?

8. BIGREDDODGE

BIGREDDODGE Junior Member

BOSS

I have been running Boss snowplows for a long time, and I have never had a problem with the pump. The nice thing about the cylinder instead of a chain is that there is no bounce on the plow when going down the road over bumps, it also is very easy to hook up and leaves nothing put the undercarriage under the bumper.

If you want to see a picture of my truck, just look in the pictures forum

9. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

BOSS!!!!!!!!!!!:drinkup:

10. macjazzy

macjazzy Junior Member

I think I am looking at an 8 foot straight blade. I think thats about the most weight I want to put on the front of this truck without going to different springs since it already has all that weight from the diesel up front. Of course I could be wrong, is that already to much weight? Should I go with a 7.5 instead.
    The blizzard dealer was a new buissness. He said he was going to be a custom car and truck shop. But right now all it is is an empty warehouse wigh some plows stacked up still in boxes. Also the guy I talkd to showed me a blizzard 810 that was partially torn apart and said that he thought "something got sucked up into the fluid" not only does that not make sense to me but he sadi the plow was only six weekes old and this was our first snow.

11. danthegrassman

danthegrassman Member

choose snoway!!!

I have the 8 1/2 V plow it's awesome, I also have the lexan straight blade it cleans the best of any plow product i'v seen. Both plows have a down pressure system that scrapes the closes to ground I don't care fisher can't do it. myers can't do it, even blizzard can't do it.

I witnessed this first hand last year watching a lot being plowed after an ice storm and snow with straight blades used by boss, myers and fisher blades (huge parking lot) all the plows tripped at some point. I used my snoway lexan and v plow IT SCRAPPED ALL THE SNOW with no tripping.

No other plow has the down pressure system it basically forces the plow down...no other way to explain it. You have to be careful though on uneven lots it will rip the asphalt

12. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

I think there are arguments to any of the major mfgs plows being fine. The real thing to look for is the dealer. How long has he been in business? Is he local? Has he carried the brand for a while? Is he open 24 Hrs during storms? We are sold on Fisher straight blade, 8.5 foot, Minute Mount. The dealer treats us well, good prices, and is open all night if its snowing. On several occasions ( before we learned to buy spare parts), we had to run down to his shop to have a motor replaced, or pick up a pin, or bolt that we broke, most of the times it was in the middle of the night.

Now we stock repair parts in our shop.

13. BIGREDDODGE

BIGREDDODGE Junior Member

Too much weight

I wouldn't worry about the weight, I have a 950lb plow on the front of my Cummins, and it holds the plow fine. But I agree with CPSS when he said that dealer support is Very important I don't care what kind of plow you have, you always need good service to back it up.

14. North Country

North Country Senior Member

I concur! - CPSS who is your local dealer? We use Arrowhead and George Schuster in Lake George is 24 hr during storms if needed also. I am looking at the Blizzard line right now, I have a local dealer but question the service. BIGREDDODGE where are you in NY, we might be neighbors!

15. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I like western pro plow

16. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

Fisher has aways been good to me and parts are always available everywhere.