1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First snow of the year

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by NW Andy, Dec 13, 2008.

1. NW Andy

NW Andy Junior Member

Well I have had my new 860 SW since two days before Thanksgiving, and finally got the chance to use it today. All I can say is I love it!:bluebounce

It's going to take some time to get used to the joy stick again, I have a touch pad on my old blizzard, but other than that it really takes time off of plowing. It also keeps the wet snow from rolling as much as with the straight blade.

I dug some dirt, but usually do that the first plow or so till the ground freezes anyway, and my white truck is pretty dirty, but it cut down on shoveling so my wife and kids like it also. We only had about 6 inches of wet snow, but it worked great, and so did my 2005 Chevy Duramax. I couldn't believe how easy it was to push that wet stuff! My old 1984 Chevy 1/2 diesel does good, but Duramax was just amazing! wesport
  2. onemanshow

onemanshow Junior Member
    from alaska

They are great plows.I like mine alot also.I almost went with the 810pp,but i'm glad I got the sw.It has almost cut the time in half on some of my lots compaired to my 800hd.Good luck.
  3. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

If you like the touch pad, just keep using it. I don't see why it wouldn't work with the speedwing.
  4. NW Andy

NW Andy Junior Member

I think they will change also. I liked the joy stick on my first blizzard plow, but when I changed plows it came with the tough pad. If I can't get used to the joy stick I will try your suggestion, thanks.
  5. NW Andy

NW Andy Junior Member

I thought about getting the 760 SW, but after talking with some of the posters here I went with the 86 SW, and the extra width really makes things go fast. I plow for myself and for my brother in law. We both own self storage units and it usually takes an hour at his place, and at least an hour and a half at mine. I also have to plow out the driveway and parking area in front of my house. Yesterday I cut off at least 15 minutes at his place, and maybe the same at mine. I think it will go even faster once I get the hang of the new plow. We picked up another 5 inches last night of powder so I will have some time to get the hang of it again today. I think I am going to love this plow!
  6. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I have two of them and love them both!! I really dont know how anyone could run just a straight blade.
  7. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Running a 860SW on the 2008 F-350 CC dump truck. Side by side with an 810 on a F-350 P/U this plow does great. I have to be totaly honest as my 810's become not ecomonical to repair they WILL be repalce with all 860SW.

This is a great plow for most any plow driver. I have found that when hiring plow driver even after you tell them how to use the wings it take several snow event for them to really start using them. OMG, does it piss me off when I pull in to check on a new driver and see how far behind he is on time and then notices he is plowing without using the wings. NO WAY to avoid it with a Speed Wing. If you even ever plowed one time with a Str8 blade once you get into a truck with a SW you will have the wings working for you.

Ron G.
  8. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

That's what I have been trying to tell people for 2+ yrs. now about the S.W. :D Once you try it and see how well it works there is no huge advantage to having independent wings. I can run my S.W. half asleep and still look like I know what I'm doing !!!
    , shaun
  9. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

My only question is time on back dragging, to get out, pin wings, then unpin and continue plowing. Other than that, very intuitative. I havent used a speedwing, so these are just my thoughts. What has been your experience with this, anyone?
  10. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I started using blizzard plows because of a couple of condos that I plowed. Right way it was a huge time saver. When it came time to get a new truck/plow I looked at the S.W. as a way to reduce my chances of a break down. I had many with my 810. I will say now that it was a very valuable learning experiance ( not fun at the time) !!! I was also worried about the back dragging, but I thought of how I used my P.P. Most of the time I would make a straight blade and drag all 20 drives in a row into the street. Then I would come back and clean up the mess. Using the S.W. this way I only loose a minute total ( getting out to pin and unpin) compared to the 810. I also broke a few springs dragging with my 810. My selling dealer told my that I wasn't supposed to be using it the way I was:dizzy: I am sure anyone that has pulled back wet snow with an 810 has watched their wings fold into the scoop position. This doesn't happen with locked wings. Now to drag a small area or a single drive I don't use the pins. I shovel all of my drives a couple of feet from the door so no issues. While my blade isn't 10' it's 8'-7'' in the scoop( wider than half the plows out there) and is no different than using a straight w/wings. I an not saying the S.W. is for everyone but they are great out of the box plows. Easy to use, easier on the truck, less $, and less to break. I know you can add extra springs to P.P. wings and upgrade to hd. wing edges, but for most applications the S.W. does it stock. Hope this helps answer your questions . It's way easier just show how I use it !!!

Just my experiance . Good Luck, shaun
  11. joebob

joebob Junior Member
    from ontario

having a terrible time with our 810's should have tried the sw
  12. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I do some back dragging and just leave my SW in scoop mode, and it still does a great job.
  13. Case580M

Case580M Senior Member

NW Andy,

Where to in Washington are you? Good to see you like it as I have one on order but being a bit slow getting here. Did you get yours from NW Snowplows? Matter of fact should give them a buzz this morning to see where its at.....

How about some pics of your setup?