1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

first snow for boston.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawn king, Oct 14, 2005.

1. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

First plowing event, december 18th, 3" of nice light frozen stuff, you heard it her'e first!payup

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I am from Boston born and raised. I bet you'll be pushing before that. Lucky b**tards!! :)

3. sir spaniourd

sir spaniourd Senior Member

I predict (yeah right) a nice snow storm on november the 25th. 7"

4. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Thankx anyway,12-18 will be fine. We have quite a bit of aerating and fertilizing to do.:nod:

5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes iam confident that it will be before that, some time between Novemver 24 and december 7. Thats my guess.

I will be fully redy by next week.

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

It better snow before that, ill say November 20th. Just a guess! Wish i had a plow! One more year to go though!!

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Hey CJA, do you like your Curtis? I was looking at that brand for my '04 Dodge 2500. I can't seem to find anybody selling anything used (within reasonable distance), so I contacted a Curtis dealer nearby and I think he wants like $3600.00 uninstalled. Anyways I have always had Fishers and love them. The nearby Fisher and Meyer dealer want almost $5000.00!!! installed.:eek: I am plowless now and winters coming. Curtis looks like a decent blade.

8. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Im not CJA, but I do have a curtis....

I have a 8ft on my 3/4 ton. I havent plowed with it yet, but Ive heard great things about them.

Something that I have noticed is how easy it is to hook up, and it has a LARGE room for margin of error while driving up to the plow to hook it up.

Hope this helps some.

9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I forgot that you have a Curtis too. Is it nice a solid when hooked up? All three of my Fishers were the conventional speed cast type. I have never owned a quickmount or minute mount type. How much did you pay for your plow?

10. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

i dont know what you mean by "nice and solid when hooked up". and I couldnt compare it to anything else, because this is my first plow. And the plow came with the truck when I bought it in may.

the other nice thing is that the plow has a built in jack, so when your taking it off, you can be on an incline, thus being able to adjust the height of the plow when attaching. Its pretty neat. Only thing is that I forgot that the plow had to be in float for the jack to work, so I started freaking out thinking something broke. LOL

11. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Like I said I am not used to the quick mount plows. I always had the head gear mounted on the truck. I am sure its a stong piece of equipment, just curious how sturdy Curtis's mount seemed to you.

Boy I sure got this thread off topic I guess. :dizzy:

12. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Banksy,
    I love both my Curtis plows. They are very strong and neither have ever quit on me. I think Curtis has one of the best mounting systems because the truckside mount is nice and neat looking and the thing mounts itself if you hit it right (which as primerland said is not hard to do because of the design of the truckside mount). Then it is only one plug to plug in and your all set to go. Yes the curtis and all "quick mount" plows are "stable" on the truck, no chance of them falling off thats for sure. I would not pay $5000 for a plow, those dealers are price gouging because they are selling in a smaller plow market in NC. Id get the Curtis based on price. You will not be disappointed and Curtis plows are better then Meyer plows and at least as good as Fishers in my humble opinion.

If you want to know more about Curtis plows, feel free to ask, I have plowed quite a bit with them.

PS
    Where around Boston are you from?

13. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Ok great advice. Thanks alot guys. I'm going to call a Western dealer in Fayateville and see what they charge.

I am from Wellesley. Lived there 21 years before I became a cop down here. I'm 25 now. My family is still in Wellesley. I come home a couple times a year. Every February I go to my grandparents house in New Hampshire for the annual ice fishing derby. I miss the winter! In the spring I am buying back my very first truck from a guy I know.'86 F250 w/ 8' Fisher. He needs it this winter to plow and then he said he will sell it to me for about $2,000. !! It is in mint mint shape, I bought it in '96 for $3500 w/ 43,000 original miles. Then sold it 2 years later like an idiot, still kicking my butt for that mistake, but once I get it back I'll bury it with me.

14. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

There will be no snow till after January 1st for the Boston Area.

15. polplow

polplow Member

November 14 heavy and wet 5 inches

16. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:cry: :cry: :cry:

LOL!!!:waving:

17. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

I'm with on ya on that. 4"

Roy

18. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

To All Bostoninans

For sake of good laughter, who from MA would be willing to put $5 into a pool, and everyone who enters picks the first day of accumulating snow fall, and the winner gets whats in the pool????

19. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

I'm in, Nov. 27th. This has to be plowable right? Also where is it going to be measured? North Adams or Logan airport? How about at the weather service at Taunton?

Roy

20. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Roy should we do it? You wanna start a new post or something. Official reading can be logan airport or worcester regional airport, wherever most are from

Greg