1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First snow fall of the year.... What a nightmare!!!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Quality SR, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Listen to this......
    I went out last night during the sleet storm and and applied mix for a couple of lots. I came home around around 2:30- 3 am this morning.. When i got home it started coming down.. I left the house again at 6:30am to apply mix to one of my biggest lots.. I put the mix in to my tailgate spreader (about 700#) The sander craped out..:realmad: Would not work... I had to get the lots sanded as quick as possible there was not time to trouble shoot.. So I grabbed 2 small garbage pails i found and filled them with sand and began throwing the sand out the window with my 7-11 coffee cup.. The owner happened to pull up and told me to stop sanding and plow out the lot(My trigger is 2" he wanted me to plow what was down about 1- 11/2) I said that was fine.. Well when i got ready to plow, i couldn't angle the blade(the old style western) it would go up and down but not left and right.. The handle felt like it was frozen. I had to get it done so i started to plow the lot with the blade straight.. About 30 min go by and i hit a pile and the blade angled when i hit the pile. I tried to use the controller and it began going left and right........... 15 min later i went to turn the blade from the left side to the right and the truck died.... Just died, not lights, no clicking when i turned the key.... I popped the hood, and disconnected the plow from the battery, and got a jump...... The truck started, i put the plow back on the battery, and it worked fine just like before...... Until 15 min later same thing... etc, etc, etc,etc. After about the 50 time i was able to finish the lot. I had a buddy of mine do my other accounts, b/c i was so backed up..
    I have been praying for snow for so long now and now i am happy it is over....:dizzy:

How did everyone else do with this storm??? Also if anyone knows what the problem is with my western, or if it happened to them let me know, any advice would be great.....
    Also i drove the truck home in the angled position and i went to make the blade straight and it wouldn't move....:dizzy: i don't know what is going on....
    Thanks in advance
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

last night i thought my plow lights had burnt out, but, the connections in the back were just loose.

other than that, good day except for one customer that expects that a plow will do a better job scraping then a shovel........what an idiot, i have a feeling she is gonna either not want me anymore, or ill end up dropping her. But, no mechanical issues except for something is wrong with my ipod.. (knock on wood as the storms not over)
  3. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

You had MONTHS to prep, check, double check, and troubleshoot equipment!

Did you believe that global warming stuff?

Jeez, sounds like some of my old crew - sit around & drink coffee, then whine when TSHTF!
  4. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I did..... it worked fine when i did... but i got it done