1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First smart phone, ordered square

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Holland, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Holland

Holland Senior Member

I know i saw this on here before, but i searched and cannot find it. Got my first smart phone today, didnt think i'd be getting one so soon. Anyway, ordered the Square card reader for it, just thought i'd see if any of you guys were using it and how well you liked it. I've talked to a few people using it and everyone seemed to like it alot, thought i'd get your opinions! Thanks in advance! Thumbs Up

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Looking into getting it as well for summer work. Ive talked to several people who run businesses and they all loved it with zero issues!

3. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Makes paying fun for people. I offer them a cash check price and a credit price(4%higher) and almost all of them take credit

4. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Yea i'm surprised how often people ask if i take credit. I mean, i probably wont use this that often, (time or two a week), but it'll be nice to have the option. Not like there is any money invested upfront if it turns out i dont use it much.

5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Our landscape designer has one for her iPhone. Right after her sales presentation she can take a credit card deposit right one the spot.
    Works great and the money seems to be available quicker than with our merchant account we have at the office

6. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I too got the Square card reader it works ok. My biggest complaint is trying to hold the reader still while trying to slide a card, It has to be still to slide. I changed over to Pay Anywhere card reader where theres has a lip that keeps the card reader in place and there fee is 2.69% wether you slide a card or manaully enter the info and once you join can get a report portal setup Fee that give you all kinda of reports , Pie charts , Graphs and alot of other stuff, You can You Tube the card reader for views and Portal views too

7. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

I love my square some of my customers like to pay ASAP and that helps a lot with them and me with getting payment. I will look at pay Anywhere what ever makes my billing simpler.

8. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

I have it and love it. Just make sure that you aren't charging a fee for a credit card, build the extra expence into the price and offer a % discount for cash or check. If "the man" finds out that you are charging extra for cards you could get in trouble... at least thats how it is in NY

9. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I just ordered this........think I'll offer the two payment types also. $35 per driveway with a cash/check discount of $5. We'll see how I like it.

10. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

I have used Square for two years now, and I enjoy it.

If you do more than 15k/mo in CC transactions, they have a fixed rate method that is a set fee a month, no matter the sales amount. The normal rate is fine with me, the fact they drop the money in your account the next day is also very good. Plus they take the processing fee off the batch, not debiting your account a month later.

I always suggest people get a spare reader, they break if you are rough with them.

Also, for those who do cash and credit pricing, I suggest plan on everyone paying with a CC, then offer a 5% discount for cash. You run into some legality issues by charging more for credit than you do cash, but there is nothing illegal about offering a cash pay discount.

11. underESTIMATED

underESTIMATED Senior Member

All of the posts that i have read of yours are pretty spot on, this is another one of those. Thumbs Up

I also have been using square for a year or so now, it has some issues fitting into port on the otterbox case on my iphone 5, but thats not squares fault. Just the design in otterbox.

Definately get a spare card reader. I keep one in my truck, and one in my desk at the shop for people that like to stop by my shop to be.

12. wondo

wondo Senior Member

I have been using it for my residentials where I don't mind paying the percentage to save me from losing a bunch of $50 and $100 checks and running to the bank every day. I think in the spring for landscaping as well as my seasonals next year I'll work in the percentage and offer a cash discount.

13. hatefulmechanic

The ONE gripe of mine, I use a LifeProof Case on my iPhone 4s, and cannot use Square due to the sealed jack configuration. My solution was to run Square on an old Android I had laying around, using my iPhone as a wifi hotspot.

14. underESTIMATED

******* Apple switched the AUX jack to the bottom and now it doesn't fit with the Otterbox case; mine fit previously with the iPhone4 & Otterbox case.

Like you, I thought about using my old Android Nexis or iPad to charge the card...but I don't really use it much outside of landscape season. I mostly use the app and rarely have the physical card on hand.

15. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I have a Droid Razor M on order and would like to start doing CC transactions, I was wondering if the Square works on the Razor M?

16. hatefulmechanic

True. If its a call in I just pop it in and roll with it.

BTW if you do more than $500 in manually entered transaction, you should fill out the upgrade form and get it bumped so you do not have a hold. I can do up to $5000/mo now manually entered and it goes in immediately.

17. hatefulmechanic

Yes, Square is Android and iPhone compatible.

go to www.squareup.com and make an account, it is immediate and free. They will send a reader to you in about a week. Just need your bank account info and you are good to roll.

18. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Awesome! Now how do you give your customer a reciept? Write out a carbon copy?

19. underESTIMATED

Two options: Enter their phone/cell #

Or their email address.

It's an immediate push upon transmission.

Extremely simple!

20. wondo

wondo Senior Member

I have been meaning to pick up one of the lifeproof cases. I bought an otterbox and didn't like how bulky it was, I like to slide the phone in my pocket. Because of that I maxed out the amount of claims apple care would replace my phone and personally replaced 2 more screens last year :eek: If the damn things weren't so handy I would love going back to the more forgiving flip phones of the early 00's.