1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First season-snow plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Plow_King88, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Plow_King88

Plow_King88 Junior Member
    from Eastern

Hello. I am new to the snow plowing business and I would appreciate any advice that I could receive.
    I am looking to move to Michigan (Westland) this winter in December and am considering going into a snow removal bussiness and operating with an atv/plow. payup
    I'm considering an atv vs a pickup with a plow, because an atv is a lot more cheaper.

I have a set budget of about $3,500 but would like to get an atv for about $2-3.5k already equipped with a snow plow.
    Whats the best size plow *atv* for residential driveways?

I am wondering which setup would be best for residential driveways, a snowblower or an atv equipped with a plow?

Since I am new to the snow removal business, I am unsure of the price to charge per a driveway.
    I have operated a lawncare business in Virginia for the past couple of seasons and know what to make per yard size/hour to cover my expenses and to make a steady profit.

But I am unsure of how to estimate prices for customers to remove snow.
    Also how to estimate the time.

Thanks in advance,
    Wade

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo Senior Member
    from nw ohio

what i thimk...

that is not a street legal vehicle so you will be limited to plowing close to your home...... not much money in that......

and you cant just go move snow.... you have to hve inisurance incase someone slips and falls and sues you for a million dollars.....

you have to have insurance, a business license in many cases, and unless you use a shovel, in many states snow plowing is subject to sale tax, so you would need a vendores license, and collect the tax and send it in......

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The biggest problem I see is that you won't even be in Michigan till December. Most people have already hired someone to plow for them. You may want to do research now and start next season.