1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Season Plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Minimatt3535, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Minimatt3535

Minimatt3535 Junior Member
    from MN

Hello All!
    I first found this site a few years ago when I was 15-16 years old and always found great info on everything! I did a few driveways in my neighborhood back then and made a couple extra bucks. I took last year off as I was sick of having to stick around for all the storms and very little money, I was planning to not worry about plowing this year and figure something out for next year but I had been shopping around for a work truck for the spring anyways. I ended up finding a crazy deal and couldn't help but jump on it and start plowing a year early.

I ended up picking up a 2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty Lariat X-Cab with an 8ft Boss Straight Blade for $5,000 from the ORIGINAL owner (Friends of mines dad) the truck only plowed for 3 years before they bought a bobcat and had 142K on it. I had to put a new exhaust on the truck as well as a exhaust manifold but that was no problem as I did it all myself easily. (I felt bad when he brought out the stick for 31K :dizzy: ouch...)

Anyways, Picked that truck up and I have slowly fixed the little things that have gone wrong including 7 hours to replace an intake manifold... Started with 1 account and I had never run a plow truck before in my life. Plowed a buddies drive (the one I bought the truck from) to practice once and then hit my first account. Now have 8 contracts at 2" and a few more that I get a call for every time we get over 4-5" and I can tell you that between then and now it takes me 1/2 the time to do a drive and I have learned SO MUCH on here and elsewhere.

I'm glad I bought the truck, I haven't looked at exactly what the number are but the truck is well over 1/2 payed off so far with all the snow we are getting here. I would not be at all surprised if it is fully paid for by the end of this season! That wont be a problem at all if I get the commercial account that I am hoping for soon here due to the prior guy being late every time.

For everyone out there that hates a low baller I will let you know that I am not one! $25 is the minimum no matter how small and I want get out of the truck for that. My company is registered with the state, I'm paying the taxes on all my income which I record carefully, and I'm getting 1 mil in business insurance and the truck is switching to a commercial auto policy this week. I'm just trying to do the best I can to plow right and make some good money! I hope to be doing this for a long time to come and possible pick up a second truck by next year!

Thank you all for your great advice so far I search threw things daily and get lots of great info!!
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Have a good time plowing.