1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First season Plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Tosa93F250, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Tosa93F250

Tosa93F250 Member

Hey all, glad to be a member. This is my first season plowing and I can't wait for it to actually accumulate here. I'm 19 and a part time college student. I'm also self employed with a small vending business.

I am using a 1993 F250 XL with Western UniMount and Western Pro 7'6" Blade that came mounted on it. Just bought a Snow Ex SP325 salter to do spreading.

For this season I'm going to be doing 1 commercial lot that belongs to the family business and then some residential lots for family and friends jsut to learn how to work everything and get a handle on it all. Maybe next year I'll do more.

I'll post some pics tomorrow, don't have any right now.
  2. BelleTerra

BelleTerra Junior Member

Right on!! Sounds like you've got yourself a great set up!

Welcome to the site! Im new myself!!

3. Ottneys250

Ottneys250 Junior Member

Yeah buddy lets see some pics. Im bout the same everything as you mines the salter
  4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Congrats....Hope you have a GREAT winter...Lets see some pics..payup
  5. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

good luck this year. glad to see you join this site, use it, ask lots of questions, be prepared for a lot of sarcasm.
  6. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

Congrats Belle Terra & Tosa93F250 on joining the site. You will find a wealth of knowledge on this site. Welcome to the snow plowing business !!!
  7. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Sarcasm....From Who????.....I have NEVER encounterd or taken part in any sarcasm on this site...:laughing::laughing:...Welcome again and enjoy..:drinkup:
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Welcome Tosa and you are starting the right way...small
    Good Luck
  9. Tosa93F250

Tosa93F250 Member

Thanks everybody. I'm glad to be a member and can't wait for the snow to start flying. Weather reports lied and there's no snow tonight as I was hoping.

Didn't get out today to take any pics of the truck so here's a couple older ones without the spreader installed:

Side View:

Day that I bought it parked next to my F150:

I'll take some new pics tomorrow when I go to change the blower motor. It's been making some wired noises and the last thing I want is to have my heater crap out in the middle of the night.
  10. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

Welcome and Good Luck this season:drinkup:
  11. Tosa93F250

Tosa93F250 Member

As I said last night, here's some new pics I took today:

Hydraulic tank in bed:

All of the valves for the truck are in that black box on the left side of the bed. I'm not sure what the liens running backwards were used for. As far as I can figure they ran either a hydraulic spreader of some kind or they ran a lift gate.

The pump is under the hood and runs off the motor via belt. All valves are in the Bed.

Cab Controls:

The Western solenoid doesn't do anything, it's an extra controller from the previous owner when the main control board friend in the console controller. It's now disconnected and does nothing but take up more space...

Snow Ex SP325 Junior Tailgate Spreader:

It's a little small and I'm still trying to figure out a way to add marker poles similar to the ones on the blade so I can tell where the corners on it are from inside the cab.

12. Tosa93F250

Tosa93F250 Member

Passenger side view:

The passenger door is currently inoperable. Next spring I plan on fixing that. If you look close you can see the marking under the tan paint. Those I'm guessing are the lines left over from when it used to belong to Green Bay DPW. They bought it new and have almost complete service history that came with the truck.

The business end:

Western 7'6" Pro Plow. Not sure of wing Mfr. But they seem pretty nice. After this season I'm going to repaint the blade. With those wings it's about 8.5-9ft wide. Not sure of exact measurement but they add about 9" on each side. The cutting edge on the drivers side doesn't touch the ground but I'm guessing that's because it needs a new edge. Which will also get replace next spring unless it gets to a point that it has to be replaced during winter.

Well that's my truck. Can't wait til tomorrow night, supposed to get hammered.

13. Tosa93F250

Tosa93F250 Member

Bad start to the Season

Well, had some bad luck tonight...

Was just finishing up my second pass over the lot when suddenly I hear a clunking noise from under the cab. Got out to look and the friggin front drive shaft had snapped off...:realmad: When it busted it took out the linkage for the shifter lever and looks to have done damage to some kind of metal plate The shifter lever now just dangles from the bottom of the truck since it's not connected to anything. Can't tell much right now since it was dark.

Dropped it off at the truck repair place here and have to go get a price on it in a few hours when they open. I really hope this is the only major break down I have this season. If not I don't know how long I'll be doing this since I've already spent way too much on this truck.

I'm hoping that the damage to the shifter lever is just a snapped linkage that got taken out by the flailing drive shaft. If it's something that requires pulling the T-Case I'm going to be pissed.

More info on this tomorrow when I find out exactly what got annihilated by the drive shaft.
  14. casaburgos

casaburgos Junior Member
    from 18302

Good Morning Folks,
    I just invested in a plow for my truck and need some expert advise. I never plowed before.
    We've just received 5" of snow in my area , and now its raining, tmp is 36 going up to 41.
    Question I have is, "do I plow the wet snow or let the rain wash it away?
  15. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

First, welome to the site.
    Second, when you have a question or something to say that is not related to anyones current post, post a new thread. What you are doing here is called threadjacking. We'll let it slide this time, but in the future if you do it, be prepared for the hounds to be unleashed.:gunsfiring: Just some friendly advice! :D
    Third, to answer your question, it depends on if you are only doing your own or if you have contractual obligations to service other properties, and the details of those contracts.
  16. casaburgos

casaburgos Junior Member
    from 18302

Dear Senior member,

Thanks for your advise, both on how to start a new thread and answering my question.

17. linycctitan

Welcome to the site, and congrats on you first storm and first breakdown!!:drinkup:

Don't let it discourage you, we've all been there and it sucks, but it's all part of the job. Pushing snow is tough on equipment, especially older stuff, but everyone has to start somewhere. I'm sure we could go on for days, talking about everyones first year or two, what they had, what broke and when. Fact is it happens, and unless it was a rare catastrophic incident, after shelling out a little more dough you'll be back in the game. Best of luck.
  18. linycctitan

Dear Newbie,

You are quite welcome. This site has tons of knowledge to offer, as well as a ton of sarcasm. Be prepared for both and you will prosper, grasshopper!:laughing:

Senior Member:eek:
  19. Nelsen

Nelsen Member

Welcome Tosa....just a little advice.

Welcome to Plowsite, Tosa. This is a great place to get your feet wet and hang out.

Good luck in your first season, but for the future.....think of getting away from the whole family thing. Really it just causes problems. I know, I know, that won't happen because everybody is cool. I'm just saying, I've avoided plebty of problems by NOT going after bids for family businesses, HMA's, etc., because it could create a conflict of interests.

First year, you gotta do what you gotta do, no doubt. But after you get some fresh customers, you're interests start to change.

Much luck to you.:waving:
  20. Tosa93F250

Tosa93F250 Member

I don't really have a choice, the truck was purchased specifically to do the lot at our business. If we didn't have that we wouldn't have the truck. In fact if we didn't have the business I wouldn't have either of my trucks.

I'm doing family stuff only this winter because it's my first year, next year I'm hoping to get some more stuff. Not sure though if I want to do commercial or residential so that's why I'm doing a little of both this year,