1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Season Plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Naturaldesigns, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Naturaldesigns

Naturaldesigns Junior Member

Hi, i am new to the plowing industry. I have an 05 F150 with a heavy duty payload package and snow plow prep. i purchased a used 7.5 western unimount plow and just installed it on the truck works great. My question is....is it too late to try to land commercail bids and what is the best way going about it. i would assume that it is kinda late that most companies probably would have all there contracts ready for the season... im not really sweating the fact i have a good sub contracting deal but if i could get my own contracts i would def make more money on the deal but alot more of a headache too...i am also gonna try to spread flyers out in neighborhoods that i have a few residential clients already is that a good idea or are there better methods of advertising??

2. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

The first snow ..Make notes of all the places getting lousy service.When you are done with your work go talk to the people getting the bad service...Most likely it boils down to price. These people are getting what they paid for...

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Kind of late to get commercials but ya never know.
    Subbing is a great way to start.
    Put your phone number on your truck

4. Naturaldesigns

Naturaldesigns Junior Member

Would you do that for commercial properties or does that only work for residential..i would assume most commercial properties are on contract so they couldnt break the contract to chose another company but i might be wrong....

As mentioned i will be subbing this season i am located in pa and was wondering if 45 dollars an hour is a good deal i think it is kinda low i feel like i should be getting more.

last question...i currently have a couple residentials the one is a small driveway bid at 35 per push up to 6" then i add 20 dollars for 6+ inches is that good i should i price that out different not the dollar amount necassarly bc that is different and depends on overhead ect. i was more wondering about my 6"+ policy is that common??

5. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Not sure

I am not sure if 45.00 is right or not for you. However, I think your service and commitment is worth more than 45.00 an hour.

If you are not sure about your costs, check out www.profitsareus.com for a snow & ice bidding package. It includes a comprehensive manual and a two CDs that are full of contract templates, proposal formats, advertising templates and much more. The other Cd calculates time and material base don your equipment and property types.

If you have any questions, feel free to call us at 800-845-0499.