1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Season/First Unit with Operasoft

Discussion in 'Operasoft' started by cda817, Nov 17, 2011.

1. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

After much research We decided to take the plunge this year and invest in gps fleet management from Operasoft. We purchased one unit to try out for this winter. Today I installed my unit which took about 15 minutes did my initial training, took about 30 minutes and I was off and running. From initial contact through the sale and training Jean-Pierre from Operasoft has provided tremendous customer service. I will keep everyone posted as the winter progresses but from the ease of use thus far we will be investing in more units for our other trucks, loader, and sidewalk machines. I look forward to this winter and future business with Operasoft. Thank You!

Chris Ahlgren
  2. AlertSnow

AlertSnow Member

looking forward to hearing about your experience.
  3. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Any more info/updates on this? EVen though it hasnt snowed much!
  4. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

So far our experience has been excellent. We were only able to use it for the tail end of fall cleanups and the truck has pretty much been sitting since. However, the process of geo coding our properties was easy and the accuracy of the system is amazing. I no longer wonder where my guys are or if they are going to fill out there route sheet accurately. I can't wait for the first storm so that I can start to generate some of the reports that this program is capable of. I will update as soon as we have our first storm.
  5. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

We also just pulled the trigger this week on 2 units. Looking forward to seeing the system in use.....

Still need to do the training and set up the routes. Just going to do the first phase this season and see how it works, maybe add the touchscreens next season if it works as promised.

Ironically - as I was paying for the system - I got an unsolicited email from another tracking company..... a little cheaper but they don't seem to have as much software back end that is geared toward a snow removal operation.

It won't take too long to pay for the system if it makes our units more efficient, and helps to identify if our operators are taking cash at non contract sites (which has happened too frequently in the past).

I will also update on our findings as the season (hopefully) progresses.
  6. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

After a handful of BS snow "storms". It is time to give everyone an update. The unit works flawlessly, JP touches base with us monthly or so to see if we have any questions or problems. On the one "significant" storm that we had I asked my guys what was left for overnight clean up on one of our plazas and the driver said it was all set. I was able to go on and verify that he had forgotten the dumpster area behind the building and was able to address it before the next morning, thus eliminating a customer complaint.
  7. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Criminy, it is that accurate?

I've heard good things, just heard them too late to worry about it this season.

Maybe I'll give them a call for a truck for this summer.
  8. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

Yes it is that accurate! You can see almost every movement that the vehicle makes plus extremely accurate time on site calculations.Very happy with the system.
  9. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks, definitely be taking a look at it soon then.
  10. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Yes, I would concur. The system itself is very accurate.

Unfortunately for us, the google mapping that is used for the background map is inaccurate in our local area. It is shifted by about 50-100' compared to the actual streets (satellite image is not synced with the actual streets etc)

I think this is a limited problem that seems to be exclusive to our area of operation. JP has been in touch with Google to see whats up, and hopefully goggle will be updating the mapping before the next snow season.

Our units were installed into a skid steer and an ag tractor. The units seem to register well in a parking lot environment, but we are missing some registration points for our driveways. In talking to JP this week, it seems that the system is set to only register above 5mph when heading changes more than 10 degrees. For us, the machine speed when doing a residential driveway will be below that speed due to not wanting to hit curbs etc. We are testing to confirm this theory. Hopefully we can get an update that will improve this issue.

Like all things in technology, there is a learning curve and bugs to work out as the system is developed and improved. They are in the process of doing updates to the software that JP indicated should be up and running before next snow season. This combined with improvements by google to their overlay mapping, and maybe some fine tuning for reporting frequency on our units should make this a very good system to have.

It is really nice to be able to look back in history at any point and confirm dates and times of service, and make sure that employees are not doing cash jobs that they are not telling you about.