1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

first salt run!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by redman6565, Nov 18, 2008.

1. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

its 3 am and the first salt run will be conducted in an hour or so :) payup
  2. azandy

azandy Member

We had ours yesterday AM. If you drove 10 miles in any direction from the little town we are in, it didn't snow. Took us by suprise. Kinda shot across the Bay and Lake. Only 1/4" - 1/2" Good to get the rust off of us. Now I'm ready for some real snow.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Same here went out about 2;30 am . Guess I need to hang out here from now on,seeing that I started salting again!

MRUSSELL Member

just got back from our first salt of the year went out at 4 am and just got finished good to get to ease into it instead of full tilt 4 " all of a sudden, this let us make sure all equipment was good and gave us a little better time frame for the salting end . NOW BRING IT ON
  5. wls

wls Senior Member

me too, got back at 7 am
  6. redman6565

got back at 1:30 pm...we ended having to plow! had four loaders and 3 pickups doing clean ups :)
  7. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

I used my new Swenson v box today for the first time. How easy was this no bags! Went to my shop t filled the salter, started it and went to my accounts. I never had to get out of the warm truck after that. I did notice that I am putting down too much salt so next time I will try the motor at half throttle instead of full. I did adjust the flow control and this along with less throtte should do the trick. Parked the truck inside the shop, had some left over in the hopper, don't want it to get wet, waiting for the next time. Priceless!
  8. redman6565

welcome to the world of commercial salting. I buy bulk. have 3 8-ton salters and 2 4-ton salters. never get out other to re-fill them in the afternoon before i put the trucks away.
  9. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Yup Redman it cost alot to get into it, my wife said you spent what ? I said every penny is worth it even if it takes me a while to get it back. I am now set up for the future so I am not limited to what I can salt. Lasy year I put 35 tons of bagged salt thru a tailgate and should of sold more but just to much work. 35 tons is not alot using bulk but maybe I can sell 50 tons this year who knows. I do know that if I sell 35 tons or 100 tons I will be set up rite to do it. Thanks to all the good advise I got from you guys, that help out alot on how to do it the rite way.
  10. redman6565

Tell her it'll save your back! haha. plus, bulk salt you get better pricing which means more money in your pocket.