1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First run with urethane edges

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bonzai, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Bonzai

Bonzai Member

Dino, I cannot say enough good things about those edges you sent us. Finally got a chance to use them. 4 installed on Western V plows and 1 one a 6.5 western on a jeep. They are so quite and forgiving when going over raised manhole covers, speed bumps etc. and plowing in general. Takes away alot of worries. My guys also loved them. Felt like a kid with a new toy :D Now all the other guys want them on their plows. once again, thanks Dino::waving:
  2. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

hey buddy where can i get one for my plow i would like to try one have you had good luck with them . tell me more about them thanks george
  3. MGardner

MGardner Senior Member

Hav`nt got to try my U edge yet. Other operators are ,of course being critical of it already. Saying it will never hold up on bumpy asphault,frozen gravel...... I remain optimistic . My greatest concern is that all of the good reports are coming from choice accounts (smooth asphault parking lots) whereas my stuff is heavy commercial pushing on the same lots for hours on end. Around with shipping docks...(industrial) rough stuff. I hope it will take it, after hearing so much good about the product. :cool:
  4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I originally posted this in the SIMA Member Forum, on the SIMA web site:

This last storm we had, I spent 24 hours plowing in our Ranger. It has a Sno-Way plow, with a U edge, with a 6" overhang on the ends. I cannot even begin to tell you how great it was! I plowed a bunch of sites with obstacles that would have sent me through the windshield with a steel edge, and the U edge just bumped right over them, even with the downpressure on. This was my first plowing with a Sno-Way, and I was very impressed. The truck lights never dimmed, the plow is fast, and it never even tripped once, no matter what I hit.
    The U edge scraped the same if not better than steel, even on hardpack clean ups after the storm was over and gone. The 6" overlap on the ends let me run curblines at all our sites I plowed to give us full widths. I pushed snow onto grass areas, and no turf damage at all. I took a small chunk out of one of the overlapped ends, but I am sure it was a steel catch basin that did it. By small, I mean VERY small. With a steel edge, again, I would have been throught the windshield, and I might have damaged the truck or plow.

This is the most I have ever used a U edge, and I am more of a fan than ever now.

Many of our sites are large industrial ones, with pavement that should have be repaved years ago. When I bid the sites, I knew whoever we had plow them would have to deal with a lot of plow tripping. That was not the case when cleaning up with the Ranger after the pushers cleared them.

Like I said, the U edge just bumped right over the raised sections of concrete, trench drains, and manholes.

5. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I have a lot of nasty industrial lots that are in need of repaving & the U-edges have stood up to the abuse well. I've got over 200 hours of plow time on one of U-edges & we still haven't had to lower it, so it is wearing well & will last a long time. Ditto Chuck's comments. PS I installed that U-edge that Chuck got to use, so I'm glad to hear it didn't fall off LOL. I'm not to happy to hear that Chuck is abusing & tearing chunks out of it though :nono: :p
  6. Nova

Nova Member

Details? How much... How to get it... How long to get it, etc.

Inquiring minds need to know! :)
  7. MGardner

MGardner Senior Member

My concerns of durability on the harsh conditions of industrial lots were obviously without warrant . I do appreciate the rapid responses addressing this topic. I`m more confident about the product now that I know it`s being used with tremendous results.In fact , plowing although far from being carefree, will be a lot less stressful aproaching the manhole covers on one site in particular this year. Every time, no matter how slow or cautious those manhole covers would slam the daylights out of me .Really looking forward to plowing over them without tensing up and swearing.:eek:
  8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Thanks for the kind words guys. I try to sell a product that I believe in, and I am in it for the long haul. So it wouldnt pay to make false claims. If anyone needs urethane edge info, feel free to call me at 860-608-1842 or email myself or Bruce Barger. We both are sponsors now of plowsite.
    Dino Bruce and MPT
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2002
  9. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Uhh, Dino, Did you mean to say that? :eek:
  10. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

I'm going to half to wait for my second run with one to form my opinion. First time out with it I was very dissapointed.
    I beleive I did not wear enough of a bevel on the cutting edge and it kept riding up on the snow and not cleaning worth a damn. It did however back drag like a dream.

I took it out to a dry parking lot and now have a nice bevel the whole thicknes of the edge where as before the bevel was only on the back half of the edge and the front was still square and not riding on the ground.

Looking forward to my next time out with it to join in on all the positive experiences from this edge.

11. plowking35

from SE CT

I am sorry but I dont remember what type of plow your edge is on. If it is a fisher,their attack angle will compound the problem. Now that you have that edge worn in, I am sure things will be fine, if not, you at least can feel secure in knowing that I will buy the edge back if need be.
  12. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

My edge is on a Meyers 7.5. We spoke of the problem via landline and I have no problem with, or doubt of your customer support. After plowing the first time and checking the wear of the edge, I could see the cutting edge was not worn through the entire thickness (1.5") of the edge.

Even though I was out for about 19 hrs the last snow, I'm only doing res work and the plow is up (in transit) more than down. I think I have a nice bevel on it now and should be able to get better plowing results along with the many other benifits.

I have only been out with it once so far and am open minded enough to see the possible problem with the attack angle. I will keep you posted. :cool:

13. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

My first U-edge was on a 7.5 Meyers (ST) and the attack angle is fine on that type, compared to the Fisher. You won't wear a bevel all the way through the 1.5" of thickness for a long time, and you don't need that type of bevel. On that edge it took over 100 hours of heavy commercial plow time to wear that much (plow time, not plow & travel time). Hang in there, it will improve. I remember that the first couple of storms with them seem to not be any better than the steel, but since they've worn in they are so much better that I don't even remember that breaking in period anymore. I think of it as a fine wine, it needs to age a little before it gets to perfection. Only the aging in this case means getting worn in by use. Also check that you don't have a whole lot of overhang below the edge of your mold board, as this will affect performance. Good luck with it.
  14. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

I know it would take me years to wear this thing in just doig my res work. I took it out to a dry parking lot and made about 50-60 passes, forward & reverse. It has a nice bevel going on now. Just need some snow to try it out. I have about 1.5" below the moldboard so I dont think that's the problem.

I have faith that these edges are as good as everybody says. I don't think Dino could pay everybody off to rant & rave about them, but If so were's my cut??? :D

15. timsjeep

timsjeep Senior Member

Could someone please post a picture of one of these edges. I am having a hard time picturing them in my head. They sould great. Thanks
  16. plowking35

from SE CT

this is the new web site Bruce Barger has been developing for the dealers.
  17. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I like the U edges so much that I have not bought a steel edge since I switched the first one over. They do require some break in,but they scrape very good once they are worn in,I dropped my newest U edge at 40 mph for about 2-3 miles on wet blacktop to break it in,i angles it left and right back and forth,it helped a lot,it scraped great after that.They do not wear much,and they hold up amazingly well. Locally guys have asked me how I can plow across the lawn,and not tear up any grass.I leave mine long too,and you can scrape right up to the curbs with no damage to the curb or the plow.On entrances the finished job looks much better,and leaves less snow to melt,and refreeze.
  18. plowking35

from SE CT

First off its polyurethane not polyethylene, or UHMW. As for no difference between rubber and urethane, that is not true.One fact alone that is a major difference, rubber has a memory, and urethane doesnt. Read Chuck Smiths article in the last issue of Snow Business, he wrote a very insightfull and accurate piece.
  19. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

Where can I find Chuck's article in snow business ? Have a website for your U edges ? Thanks
  20. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

I just put my U-edge on my Boss 8'2" V plow along with the blue center shoe. I dropped the plow on dry pavement at about 10 mph for the first time and it jumped up and down violently. I'm glad I was not going 40 mph. I took the plow back to my shop and raised the undercariage on the truck to give the plow more of an angle of attack. This seemed to help put the plow still jumps, even at slow speeds. Is this normal because I'm on dry pavement or is something wrong?